What wood for seats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldorthemagnificent

Reaction score
About to start a little refresh project on this old sea king. The seat planks are looking a little past sanding and recoating so I want to replace them. What would be a good wood to use?
339be87bca1bf96b7f773c28873b474f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 5/8" acx plywood and sealed it with oldtimers formula with 3 coats of spar varnish over that. Seems to be holding up fine and I have plenty of the sheet of plywood to do again if needed.

I’m kind of leaning towards plywood or cedar from a cost standpoint. I have $125 into this boat and the most it’s ever going to be worth is 300 or so. The redneck in me says to just paint the whole thing od green and camo to hide imperfections. Lol. And my ocd side wants to make it pretty again. My main concern is strength as the wood is not just a bench top but the structural member as well. Don’t know what the original wood is but it’s still strong, just a little too beat to refinish.

Weldor, I don't know your location but if you are anywhere close to cypress swamps or close to any local small sawmilling operations,you can get a good price on " green" Lumber. Cypress would be a good choice if there's any to be had in your area. Another long lasting choice is white oak, heavy but it will last. The red cedar we have here in SC will last but it in not real strong.

I’m in Ontario Canada. White cedar and white oak are both available with cedar being more prevalent in my area. Looks like the flotation box lends some rigidity to the board.
Cypress would be perfect but is unobtainium here. I had cypress all around when I lived in Arkansas and Mississippi, who knew I should have stashed some away. Lol.

If you have a lumber yard near that does mill work, they could be ran through their planer or sander and should really dress them up.

Since they are still solid, I believe I would seal them well, and cover them with a marine grade carpet. You would probably have less in the carpet than you would have in new wood. Plus, they are already the correct size and fit. It would dress it up.

Latest posts