trolling motor mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Getting ready to mount a foot controlled trolling motor to the bow of my jon boat and would like to find out if there is wood under the small deck? I am planning on using 2 pieces of wood sandwiched together for the top and through bolting everything. Would this work okay?

If that small deck is open, sticking a mirror and a flashlight up inside might tell you what you need to know.

If the mirror doesn't answer your questions, and, since you are going to mount the trolling motor anyway, why not just drill a small hole? Watch for the wood shavings to come out.

As far as "two pieces of wood on the top"...I assume that is 3/4 inch plywood. That amount, plus whatever plywood is already there, should be plenty.

Many people are cutting fitted holes and putting in an aluminum tray so the pedal is the same height as your other foot. I sit so I don't need to put a tray in.

Thanks for the idea of flashlight and mirror. never thought about that. I will be sitting to so no need to cut holes.

idea of flashlight and mirror

Yeah. I came up with that idea a long time ago. It has saved me in a number of places. I often use my wife's handheld mirror but I am very careful to not drop or ruin it.

The other thing that I have done more recently, is just hold my phone/camera upside down under the decking and snap a shot. Try it!

rich

jonmac said:
Getting ready to mount a foot controlled trolling motor to the bow of my jon boat and would like to find out if there is wood under the small deck? I am planning on using 2 pieces of wood sandwiched together for the top and through bolting everything. Would this work okay?

Yup, that's what I did =D>

Did you put a backing plate under the deck to help strengthen it and keep the bolts from pulling through or just use big fender washers?

Latest posts