Help with 16ft Aluminum boat to bass boat!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPRBasser

Reaction score
New Member here and about to be a new boat owner. I would like to add a carpeted deck with multiple storage options, and repaint the boat. My "handiness" with projects like this is probably as low as you guys could imagine. Im 19 and in college so the budget is somewhat tight. Im looking to get as much info and pointers as I can get. The boat I will be buying is a 16ft Aluminum lone star boat. The owner started to make aluminum framing for a deck and such but never finished it. Also, the framing doesn't cover the last two feet of the boat, which I would want the whole boat to be covered by decking. The framing itself was installed by rivets so removing the existing framing would be a project itself. Ill include pictures of the boat in its current condition and all the help I could get will be much appreciated.. Thanks!

Before you dig in and make a lot of modifications on storage and decking, I'd live with the boat for a while. I've been a boat owner for 30 years so I know what I want in a boat and I've found everybody has their own version of what works for them. In my case, for my new boat, I didn't want tons of storage. I found that I don't use all the storage I have in my old boat and those boxes take up a lot of room, and add weight. Most DIY storage compartments are not as water tight as possible so anything stored in them can get moldy if left inside for any length of time. I never keep fish so an aerated live well was not needed. I also don't leave my rods in the boat because of the potential mold problems and for security reasons, so big rod storage compartments were not going to be in my boat. If you find you want all the storage possible, spending time in the boat will give you an idea where to position hatches and compartments that fit the way you fish and use the boat. Don't be in a hurry. Taking your time figuring it out will save you time and money.

Latest posts