In defense of the 1232

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelh1987

Reaction score
After acquiring a Alumacraft 1232 last weekend I was able to put the small boat through it's paces yesterday. I must say it has exceeded my expectations in every way.

I'm no stranger to Jon's having owned a 1436 and 1448 V. Obviously, you have to be mindful of your footing, but, when running solo I am every bit as comfortable as I was in the 1436 when standing

The small boat tends to get a bad rap on here for some reason, but, they definitely have their place. I was also a Kayaker prior to boat ownership and that may have something to do with my feelings on the 1232.

I am running a Mercury 3.3 and topping out at 11mph, I just add a couple dry bags of water upfront for ballast. Without the ballast bags I was getting 8mph.

I really like the little guy.

From what i've read (and can remember), I'm not sure a bad rap is really the right way to put it. When asking about options a wider boat is typically going to be recommended over a narrower one. Likewise, a larger boat over a smaller one. A lot of people like the convenience of a small light boat. I recall as a teen we would throw my buddy's boat in the back of our pick-up and head for the lake at the drop of a hat. Couldn't be much less hassle.

Nice to read you enjoyed the 1232. That 3.3 is pushing it along at a pretty good clip.

Latest posts