What determines level floor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Did some searching and came up empty. Lots of help in how to install, but nothing on what you go by for leveling a floor between bench seats.
When cutting braces and standoffs that the floor will set on, what in the boat do you measure or level off of?

Do you use the rail tops as the point of reference and measure down equally? Use the hull bottom and measure up? Measure down equally from seat tops? Position boat on trailer so the rail tops are level and then make floor level?
A boat will set a bit higher in the front, so leveling with the hull bottom may not allow for a level floor when on the water.

Maybe this is not a critical issue.

V hull? You could lay a long straight edge across the benches and see if they're level. If they are you can use it as a guide. Once you determine the height of the floor at front and rear, piece together alum angle under the benches front to rear. Most people seem to use two "runners" front to back to spread the load. Using another straight edge run angle side to side on the ribs landing on the same place.

Do they line up with each other. Lay something straight across the rear three benches and see if they're more or less level. The front benches on mine were not level so I used the rear two as a guide to measure off of.

i drove myself half crazy pondering this on my last build.then i just went off the benches and never thought about it again.very rare to be on a flat,calm lake.and if i did it didn't stay that way for long.and if you're alone in the boat level is a wash anyway.

bcbouy said:
i drove myself half crazy pondering this on my last build.then i just went off the benches and never thought about it again.very rare to be on a flat,calm lake.and if i did it didn't stay that way for long.and if you're alone in the boat level is a wash anyway.

Glad I am not alone. It would be rare I would not have front passenger to keep the nose down. If I were alone, it would be in the front with the trolling motor.
I think I will go off of the benches, measure down, and go from there. It will be a low center of gravity floor.

Latest posts