Stuck pedestal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

page_jason_r

Reaction score
As the title says I have a pedestal stuck and am hoping you guys have a solution that doesn't involve cutting the carpet to remove the entire base. Previous owner tried pry bars and couldn't get it out.

Here is a pic of one of the others that works fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!
2e5c184e5f9496a5adb55ccc16be4074.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jason, some of the 3/4" pedestals are threaded on the end,not sure of the proper name. It could be that the boat may have had two different types of pedestals on it. You could try to spin/ unscrew it. If it is like the one in the picture,I'd just put some PB blaster, liquid wrench or something like that on it for a while. There's an article on here somewhere about making up some " home made" penetrating oil.

Bearclaw said:
Jason, some of the 3/4" pedestals are threaded on the end,not sure of the proper name. It could be that the boat may have had two different types of pedestals on it. You could try to spin/ unscrew it. If it is like the one in the picture,I'd just put some PB blaster, liquid wrench or something like that on it for a while. There's an article on here somewhere about making up some " home made" penetrating oil.
I considered spraying it but don't think that's the problem. The post does wiggle side to side a bit, just won't come out lol. Will probably spray it anyway, can t hurt.

Looking at the picture real close. It looks like there some type of locking tabs on the bottom of post. Do you have access from under the deck. You may need to pinch those tabs together to release the post.

Only reason I haven't sprayed it w anything is the bottom portion of the post is plastic. It it was all metal I would have to use the bilge to get out all the pb blaster lol

The mount will swell over time and the post gets stuck. It could be the tabs are not releasing (being squeezed in). I ended up using a heat gun and some PB Blaster to help break it free from the swelling mount. If yours is spinning easily in the mount, it could be the tabs not releasing.

I just looked at my seat post and mount and it's not the pin style like you have, it's just the post so my problem was different from yours. Is there some type of release on the post you need to push in to get those tabs to retract?

Don't waste time .... just carefully cut the carpet and remove the base. Sounds like something is wonky anyway, so you should replace the base before putting in a new post.

Use a box cutter to make clean "X" cuts going away from the hole .... then carefully peel back the triangle sections of carpet. Once the new base is in, you can put the carpet back into position and you'll never see the cuts.

Even if you get the old post out, considering the prying that has already taken place, a new post will never be solid.

Mine bases screw in from the top so easy to remove if needed. No carpet cutting. Guess you don't have this setup.
dbaf2e45731c185c0acf4d371b5f6850.jpg

I'm guessing it's the same set up however the base was put down and then carpet over top. Will probably just cut the carpet to get it out and go from there. Thanks all!

It's likely stuck because the plastic has worn out or hardened so that the post hooks can't compress. I'd try rigging up some wood blocks and a bottle jack.... you just need to pull a little harder.... or a wood block and a 2x4 lever... find a log that's the same height as the seat... stand it up next to the seat and use a 2x4 to lever the seat upward..

I use silicon lubricant on plastic parts. If you expose the carpet, you can always screw the base over the cut carpet and will never see the repair. Nothing wrong with an exposed base. Just use stainless screws....

I just unstuck two seized pedestal mounts.
I had to take them to work and push them out with a hydraulic press.

grinded the rust off of them and lubed the receiving bushing in the plate......works fine.
some anti-seize probably would not be a bad idea.

Do yourself a favor and if using SS hardware on an aluminum baseplate, put a nylon washer beneath the bolt or screw head and wrap the body of the fastener where it goes through the aluminum w/ simple black electrical tape. This will prevent galvanic corrosion, that would otherwise eat away at the aluminum.

I had the same problem. Used a cheap floor (vehicle) jack I had, with a 2x4 build up to the seat base. Had to put a 2x4 on end on the other side of the post to keep it from just angling off, but POP! it came out. I sanded the little tabs on the post lightly with a belt sander so it doesn't happen anymore. Neighbors were laughing at my bush fix, but it worked!

Latest posts