Motor upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uct

Reaction score
I have a dominator 1995 17 foot. It was sold as a package boat motor and trailer. Rated to 75 hp. I would like to put a 75 on it. It has a mercury force 40 now that was totally rebuild 10 hours ago. Any recommendations on motors and what size prop would give me the best top speed. Thanks

uct said:
I have a dominator 1995 17 foot. It was sold as a package boat motor and trailer. Rated to 75 hp. I would like to put a 75 on it. It has a mercury force 40 now that was totally rebuild 10 hours ago. Any recommendations on motors and what size prop would give me the best top speed. Thanks

Are you looking for a new or used motor, and what is your price range? Pick a motor first, then worry about the prop.

Generally, the best motors out there these days are the new four strokes make by Honda, Yamaha, Evinrude etec, and Mercury (in order of my personal preference). If you buy used, any brand is fine as long as it was well maintained and in good shape.

Trading in your Force to a dealer on a good condition used motor might be a good option. It's one stop shopping, you'll get a fully serviced motor, and maybe even a warranty. They rig it for you too ... which is important since a 75 weighs a lot.

If you buy used on the Facebook/Craigslist market .... be prepared to deal with idiots. Lots of idiots. But there are good deals to be found if you are patient and smart.

Latest posts