Seat flotation foam wood facing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Working on my 1977 Mirrocraft, it appears that the flotation foam under the bench seats has a very thin piece of wood on the front and back sides to protect it. Something like Luan plywood or maybe even a bit thinner. I discovered this when I lifted the carpet that wraps the seats. The bottom of the wood is showing some rot and didn't know if it was removable without tearing away the foam so I could put new in.
My initial findings is that the wood is firmly attached to the foam. Don't know if it will come out without pulling some of the foam with it.
Anyone ran across this?

FALSE ALARM! FALSE ALARM!

Once I got the carpet off the bench seats, I discovered that the wood is actually thin metal. The seat tops are metal as well and I thought they wood also. The glue on the metal gave me a false impression and what I thought was rot was a little rust on the bottom edge.
Now I need to come up with some decent carpet glue remover. Once I get the glue off, a coat of paint will be in order.

Any favorites?(glue remover)

Normally I would suggest a heat gun ( or your wife's hair drier) and a scraper. But, if the metal is glued onto the foam underneath, using heat to remove the carpet glue may not be a good idea.

I guess I would try some WD40. Yes, it removes glue pretty well, too.

I am now only looking at removing the glue where the carpet was. Seat tops, Seat front and backs(maybe), and the hull bottom. A lot of it is scraping out, but I will need to work on some difficult areas. I am going to buy some aluminum or galvanized sheet, bend it to wrap around the bottom of the foam, screw or rivet to the existing metal so I will have a nice clean smooth finish to paint.
So if anybody has first hand experience with remover than softens years old glue, lemme know.