Stripping down a hull.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macawman

Reaction score
I'm stripping down my 14' v-hull to bare metal for repairs and repainting. No problems on the sides and transom, but when I got the paint of the bottom, I found that it had been coated with what appears to be aluminized roofing tar that is hard as a rock. Any suggestions on how to get this crap off short of a flame-thrower?

A photo would help... if it's just the textured paint they used on older boats, it can be chemical stripped.... any other method will be more work and suffering than you're likely to endure....

I hope it isn't bedliner, and you have to resort to this LINK to find a way to get it off. But, here is a LINK to a removal process. Yikes!

https://www.dualliner.com/blog/remove-spray-bedliner

You should probably ask yourself why before you get started.... I understand the desire to "do it all"... but you should consider alternatives. I've done it many times and the payoff was always smaller than the work required... messing around in all those small spaces and around ribs is pure torture....

When I get a boat with a hopeless bottom nowadays I usually think about just spray painting the inside with an automotive paint.... aluminum silver....

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

It's quite possible that someone coated it with some sort of petroleum based(roof cement/tar) because it was leaking. That may be hard to remove. I just today started on mine removing old carpet glue and Kleen Strip adhesive remover is working wonders. No idea if it would work on yours.

Ok... well the good news (if you can call it that) is that it's on the outside... much easier to deal with there.... hard to say what will work best, but I'd try the recommended clean strip adhesive remover.... I've used that on the textured paints inside and it worked better than anything else I tried.

You have to be patient.... only work on about a square foot at a time.... gob it on... keep it wet for a few minutes and scrape it off..... I like to use old loop boat carpet cut into squares.... wipe it once and throw em away.... get a fresh one and repeat.... gloves and long sleeves....

https://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=6694&virtuemart_category_id=14101&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-uuSs8ju2QIVQ7jACh1MFwIQEAQYAyABEgLm4fD_BwE&ppcsclkid=O0juqUJ8dR6r&ppcstrkid=1332290283&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqitnahs

Thanks, WV1951. According to the website, my local Home Depot has that in stock so I'll be heading there first thing in the morning.

Latest posts