THE BIGGEST TIN RUNABOUT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

I've started looking for a LARGE (over 20 feet to 24 feet would be best) tin runabout to fix up & modify into a dedicated Gulf Cost fishing machine.

Either OB-powered or an I/O open fisherman would be OK (especially if the I/O rig is Mercruiser or Volvo powered).

Do any of you know who made such a BIG/DEEP/BEAMY tin hull & even WHERE to look for such a beast??
(I'm buying yet another Ford F250 Diesel PU w/ZF transmission, to replace the truck that was stolen last Fall & that "would pull a house".)

yours, tex

satx78247 said:
Friends,

I've started looking for a LARGE (over 20 feet to 24 feet would be best) tin runabout to fix up & modify into a dedicated Gulf Cost fishing machine.

Either OB-powered or an I/O open fisherman would be OK (especially if the I/O rig is Mercruiser or Volvo powered).

Do any of you know who made such a BIG/DEEP/BEAMY tin hull & even WHERE to look for such a beast??
(I'm buying yet another Ford F250 Diesel PU w/ZF transmission, to replace the truck that was stolen last Fall & that "would pull a house".)

yours, tex
33225d4c062bb9adbb50754bc9c2051f.jpg
I know these are pretty common up here, around the Great Lakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LDUBS; ProduceMan; gatorglynn,

A few points:

1. I've never seen or heard of a North River boat. = Must NOT be sold here.
2. I've NEVER seen any LUND, other than a garvey/johnboat style hull around south TX.
(LOTS of Lund BIG johnboats, though.)
and
3. I'm NOT looking for a boat that is $$$$$$$$$, like the one in CA. = I'm looking for "a project" to redo to suit me.

THANKS, gents.

yours, tex

Look for an older Starcraft Islander. Great hulls that are very customizable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if it were me I guess I would keep a lookout on craigslist sites within an acceptable radius until something that met my needs popped up.

That Islander is a nice looking boat.

Yep, Starcraft Islander would probably be your best bet. Nice high gunnels and lots of them out there.
See a lot of them on the great lakes.

Tim

The Islanders look like some really good boats that can be had reasonably. It looks like the ones with a hard top and an outboard are a little less common than the I/O setups. The v6 would be nice, I just don't think I'd want to give up the deck space if I was looking for a big boat though. It would make a good river boat for the Mississippi too.

EZ707. et. al.,

I've never seen an Islander in the flesh but it LOOKS like a NICE boat from the photos. = Looks like THE boat to re-format for the salt.
(I'll start bird-dogging craigslist daily until I find one.)

IF I could find one with a DEAD or DYING I/O it would be swell, as I know where there is a Mercruiser 140HP, controls, OD, etc. for "almost free"/200.oo cash, that has very low hours (like less than 50 since it was rebuilt) & that was in a 1976 ski-boat that was wrecked in the stem area, when a drunk ran it into a stone retaining wall.
(The stern area looks undamaged.)

THANKS, tex

satx78247 said:
EZ707. et. al.,

I've never seen an Islander in the flesh but it LOOKS like a NICE boat from the photos. = Looks like THE boat to re-format for the salt.
(I'll start bird-dogging craigslist daily until I find one.)

IF I could find one with a DEAD or DYING I/O it would be swell, as I know where there is a Mercruiser 140HP, controls, OD, etc. for "almost free"/200.oo cash, that has very low hours (like less than 50 since it was rebuilt) & that was in a 1976 ski-boat that was wrecked in the stem area, when a drunk ran it into a stone retaining wall.
(The stern area looks undamaged.)

THANKS, tex

I really suggest going with an OB model. It really gives the boat a roomy feeling. I almost had one for $700 that I almost took but the guy was super sketchy and had zero paperwork on anything.

I'd suggest you try a nationwide craigslist search engine like this:

https://www.onecraigs.com/

just search for brand names or even something like "20ft aluminum boat" will give you lots to see and compare... maybe even travel..

https://www.onecraigs.com/craigslist-search/index.htm?q=20%20ft%20aluminum%20boat

one from Houston:
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/20-ft-aluminum-shrimp-boat/6484202185.html

Friends,

I believe that I've found MY STARCRAFT. = A 1973, 22 foot open boat with a 165HP (230CI Chevy based I/O) & Mercruiser outdrive. - It's available from a estate in the DFW area.
(The engine has 318 hours since it was rebuilt, with the papers to document the work.)
The deep/wide tin boat is on a NICE/shop-built tandem trailer with 4 decent tires.

It was last used in SEP 2017, shortly before the PO passed away on 02OCT17.

I talked to the executor of the estate an hour ago & he wants it GONE for 600.oo plus the unpaid storage fees. = About 1,000.oo total.

The hull is in decent shape, inasmuch as it was repainted about 3 years ago but needs a complete remodeling of the interior seating & trim, which is fine since I can re-do it to suit me.
(The seating/trim looks tired & about like you would expect after being exposed to the TX Sun for most of >4 decades but it's all there Terry Garcia, our local "upholstery guru lady", to use for patterns.)

THANKS for your advice, tex

LOUBS,

"Color me" PLEASED & LUCKY clear down to the ground. = Presuming that "Terri" has the time to do the interior soon, it should look nice & be re-launched in time for the late Spring boating season down on the salt out of Aransas Pass, TX.

Note: As best as I can tell from looking at StarCraft photos on the IBOATS site of "restorations & renovations", I believe that it's called a HOLIDAY IV.

yours, tex

satx78247 said:
LOUBS,

"Color me" PLEASED & LUCKY clear down to the ground. = Presuming that "Terri" has the time to do the interior soon, it should look nice & be re-launched in time for the late Spring boating season down on the salt out of Aransas Pass, TX.

Note: As best as I can tell from looking at StarCraft photos on the IBOATS site of "restorations & renovations", I believe that it's called a HOLIDAY IV.

yours, tex
wow that a great deal. Congratulations

gatorglynn; EZ707,

To quote an old saying: "Even a blind hog sometimes finds an acorn."
(The executor said that he wished that "that eyesore" was at someone else's home. - I agreed with him, as long as it was at mine.)

Now, if I could just find a period photo or factory brochure of what it looked like when new.
(My beloved Darla says that it should be at, least "externally restored".)

yours, tex

Congrats on your acquisition! Type 1973 starcraft sales brochure into your search bar. When the results pop up you'll see a picture of a boat with a sectional view that states they build the good times into every starcraft. Click it and go to the visit tab. It will give you A LOT of info on these. Colors, optional equipment, etc.. Enjoy. I like working on boats too and I'm trying to find a deal on one myself, looks like a great platform. If something would happen and you lose out on this I'd look at Chieftans also.

Latest posts