Salvaging a small craft...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscman

Reaction score
I'm seeking suggestions on how to salvage a small boat...

A couple years ago I stumbled across a "hidden" lake far up in the hills. Logging roads pass nearby, but the lake shows very little signs of use...no trash, fire rings, no trails to the lake, etc.
FWIW, it holds a small population of very well fed cutthroat trout.

There is a small fiberglass boat (8-9ft) sunk about 20 feet out from shore. It appears to be in about 10-12ft of VERY clear water. I'd guess it's probably a boat from the 60's or 70's. I'm guessing it was probably hauled up there 15-20 years ago when the other side of the mountain was logged.

I'm planning to attempt a salvage of this boat. It'd be great if it was not damaged, or could be repaired with minimal effort...but even if there is no hope for the craft, it'd be nice to get it out of this otherwise pristine fishing spot.

Since the lake is considered a "high elevation" lake, the water stays pretty cold all year round. There is usually several feet of snow (and the lake is iced over) every winter. Cold water + my inability to dive/swim to a comfortable degree is going to keep me on dry land during the effort.

So...
Using some 1/2" bar stock, I plan to build a large "treble hook" of sorts. My plan was to toss the hook out into the water and try to snag the rail of the boat. My hope is that it we can get it to slide along the silt bottom.
If not, attempting to flip the boat end-over-end may also be an option.

Either method will hopefully get the boat into shallower water, and a little closer to shore, where I will feel more comfortable to jump in and tie a line to the boat.

Do you think it will work? Suggestions? Thoughts? Am I wasting my time?
Anyone want to volunteer to jump right in?

The situation...
uj8.jpg

Personally, I think it's a waste of time. If it's not damaged, why's it resting on the bottom? And odds are the wood in the laminated 'glass is rotten.

Say you get it out, apply for a title, and the registered owner shows-up & says "thanks, I'll take my boat now".........

ST

Boats in Washington State need not be titled or registered if they are under 16 feet in length and are powered by an engine of 10hp or less, and are not used in federal waters. :wink:

I figured even if cracked or there was a puncture, fiberglass would be pretty easy to repair.
Good point regarding the core, though.

I'll admit part of me was hoping it was simply left in the lake and filled with rainwater or snow and sunk...but I realize the odds of that aren't great.

bscman said:
Boats in Washington State need not be titled or registered if they are under 16 feet in length and are powered by an engine of 10hp or less, and are not used in federal waters. :wink:
How do you prove ownership of a boat? What prevents someone from stealing your boat & claiming it belongs to him?

ST

Didn't say you *couldn't* title/register a smaller craft, simply that you are not legally required to.

I didn't write the laws, I simply follow 'em. It can be a pain, though, when you forget to license your trailer because you never had to license your boat. :shock:

https://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/register.htm

3 guys, some pulleys, and plenty of rope is all.
It's not as loaded with mud/silt as the picture looks...just some leaves and pine needles on the bottom of the boat. Also, it only appears to be sunken into the silt 1-2 inches--the picture doesn't portray it well.

I wouldn't think a boat of that size weights more than 100lbs...factor in a little "suction" to the bottom, and fighting the water a bit.

????
I'm new to "salvaging" sunken ships. I'll be sure to share the results--most likely failure, but hey...it will be an adventure!

bscman said:
Didn't say you *couldn't* title/register a smaller craft, simply that you are not legally required to.

I didn't write the laws, I simply follow 'em. It can be a pain, though, when you forget to license your trailer because you never had to license your boat. :shock:

https://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/register.htm

lol, didn't say you "wrote the laws", just asked how you proved ownership?

ST

Well, the more I think about the physics of this....the less confidence I have.
I'm thinking you guys are probably right, and this this isn't gunna budge.

Still, it's worth the trip just for the fishing and scenery....so why not give it a shot!
Updates (and possible pics) to follow!

Go for it. Nothing to loose but a little trash in the water, or a good fish habitat. :roll: All depends on how you look at it. The wood is going to be trashed, no doubt. It is not really that hard to repair/replace a floor in a fiberglass boat. I have done three and all with no problems afterward. Your best bet to retrieve it, other than diving down and floating it, would be to get a rope on the bow eye. You could get a pole as deep as the boat, tape a hook with rope to the end of it and use the pole to "hook" the eye. Then a little rope system with a mechanical advantage, a come along winch, electric winch, or alot of muscle should get her out. Not sure if I would try and "fish" for it like you were talking about if you plan on fixing it. Chances are you will not get a good hook set and you will start to rip it apart.

neat find, and I hope you can pul it off :)

I wouldn't think a boat of that size weights more than 100lbs...factor in a little "suction" to the bottom, and fighting the water a bit.

Quite a few years ago my youngest son and my sister "sunk" my 15' Coleman Ram-X canoe. It was floating just below the surface (water to the gunwales) so it was towed to shore by a paddleboat. One of the hardest things I've attempted was trying to flip that canoe full of water and get it up on shore.

Go for it!

I woudl not hook the rail as you will rip apart the glass - go for the tow eye in the front

And post some pics of those trout please

I have done this before, when a lot younger tho. Have sunk a few canoes and V jons before :lol: And once found an old sunk fiberglass boat in local lake, during drought season. Lake was down about 10-12 feet in depth. Boat was still 8'-10' deep. And yes I went swimming for it. got it to shore only to find out it was trash, I was prolly 13 or 14. It had Big holes in it, and cracked. So I dragged it back out for a fish attractor.

Waterwings said:
One of the hardest things I've attempted was trying to flip that canoe full of water and get it up on shore.
This is why you have to flip it over(bottom up) and get some air under it before trying to get it on shore.

Since you dont swim, I would suggest getting it into shallow enough water, but still deep enough to be able to flip it over (bottom up). Once flipped over, bring it into shallower water and attempt to lift bow up to get a little air under it. And as others have said, do use the bow eye hook or possibly a rear handle if it has one, just go easy on it.

lol......be sure to snap a pic of the end of your winch line with just the eye off the front of the boat coming out of the water :D

ST

Latest posts