New project coming, construction question - double sided tap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to be starting a bit of a boat project soon. Picking up a 12ft semi flat boat soon and intend on putting front and rear decks on it. At the moment it has bench seats at the back and about half way forward. I will need to add some brackets in front of the front bench to put a ply deck on. Rather than fixing the angled aluminium to the sides of the hull with screws or bolts, I'm wondering whether anyone has used the 3M double sided tape that they use for fixing aluminium panels?Is it strong enough without any mechanical fixings? The force will be sideways on the tape, so is it strong enough and waterproof enough to do the job?

Appreciate your thoughts.

I know exactly which tape you're talking about and it's not meant for what you're talking about. The tape is meant to be in tension, not shear. A common use for it is sealing the panels on enclosed aluminum trailers. You'd be better served by having some aluminum tacked into place.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really think it would be work, but would have been very handy if it did!

Latest posts