Floor/Deck Drain question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweman

Reaction score
Boat drain 3.jpgThe plastic floor/deck drain in the console area of my 2000 Lowe 170 bass boat broke/cracked. I removed it for the replacement I got and am amazed that there is no visible drain tube or opening for water to run into the bilge. I just have a four inch wide opening that is about 3 inches deep down to what appears to be the hull. The round wall of the drain hole is unprotected foam sandwiched between the aluminum deck and the hull.
There's a slight groove in the base of the "drain", but nothing evident like a drain hole/tube/hose...
I've had a couple of inches of water in the console area before (can you say no plug and/or livewell overflow?) and the water cleared out fairly quickly with the bilge pump kicked on.
I did a quick test with a small cup of water poured into the open floor drain and it just seemed to very slowly drain through the foam wall in the drain hole. Is this a normal floor drain "system"?
What am I not getting here? Anyone else replaced a similar floor drain and know what I'm talking about?
Photos are attached to better explain my question. Sorry close up photo is blurry. Thanks.

Attachments

• Boat drain 1.jpg
    Boat drain 1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 850
  • Boat drain 2.jpg
    Boat drain 2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 850
Lowe injects the foam into the floor space for flotation as well as strength/rigidity. Too bad they didn't leave a drainage channel. Kind of strange because on their website where they describe the benefits of their foam system, the pic definitely shows a clear (unfoamed) area running down the center of the hull. Looks like they didn't do that with your model. I don't know, I suppose you could have a problem with water logged foam, but maybe some other Lowe owners should chime in.

Sounds like you have analyzed your situation correctly.

I guess I would just take a small Philips Screwdriver or an awl, and poke straight down to see if I hit the channel, through the foam, on the bottom. If you do hit an opening or even bare metal, then just cut out more foam.

I'd line the vertical channel with a piece of aluminum or even plastic. That would keep most of the moisture from contacting the foam.

If you hit nothing but foam all of the way down, then take a look from the stern and see if the hull has a formed channel in the right place that could be opened up.

The last thing any of us want is a slow drain after a couple of big waves hit the boat.

Interesting project.

Latest posts