1962 Lone Star Malibu Redo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monriverguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone thought i would share my project on here with everyone and hopefully get some help with this project. I have been on this site for a while and all i know about boats and motors (witch is not much yet) i have learned from all the great members on here.

I have had this boat for about 25 yrs when i first got it, it was full of water and the seats where gone, no steering wheel, It did have the wind shield and the controls. I striped the top half of the boat ,painted it blue ,made a couple bench seats and threw a 1965 18 hp evinrude tiller motor on it and went fishing. I used this boat for about 3 yrs and had no clue what i really had. well life got busy for me with kids and work and the boat sat in the garage for many years, many times some one would stop by and want to buy it but for some reason i always said no . so about 2 years ago my kids bought me my fishing license and i got hook again... so i dug the boat out of the garage and got her running again with the help oh many on here and other sites. So now i think i am better informed about boats and i am going to redo the boats ,trailer and the motor and try to bring it back closer to her glory days.

I am sure i will need some help along the way and i thank everyone in advance for there input

here is a pic of the old girl.

Attachments

• start.JPG
    start.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,113
I remembered this thread from a few years ago... lots of good info here:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41081

That model boat is one of the real classic projects.... should be fun...

Yes it has been a fun and good boat for me so far and i hope to make it last another 50 years... I did get it flipped over and starting sanding on the bottom since i never did anything to the bottom when i got her. The paint on the bottom was on there very very very good so i just sanded it off the best i could with 50,80 and 120 grit sand paper hit it a bit with 220 and put a thin coat of SE primer on it.

Attachments

• PIC_0348.JPG
    PIC_0348.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • PIC_0354.JPG
    PIC_0354.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,092
monriverguy said:
Hey everyone thought i would share my project on here with everyone and hopefully get some help with this project. I have been on this site for a while and all i know about boats and motors (witch is not much yet) i have learned from all the great members on here.

I have had this boat for about 25 yrs when i first got it, it was full of water and the seats where gone, no steering wheel, It did have the wind shield and the controls. I striped the top half of the boat ,painted it blue ,made a couple bench seats and threw a 1965 18 hp evinrude tiller motor on it and went fishing. I used this boat for about 3 yrs and had no clue what i really had. well life got busy for me with kids and work and the boat sat in the garage for many years, many times some one would stop by and want to buy it but for some reason i always said no . so about 2 years ago my kids bought me my fishing license and i got hook again... so i dug the boat out of the garage and got her running again with the help oh many on here and other sites. So now i think i am better informed about boats and i am going to redo the boats ,trailer and the motor and try to bring it back closer to her glory days.

I am sure i will need some help along the way and i thank everyone in advance for there input

here is a pic of the old girl.
oh man I would love to fine one like this. You have a gem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok got a bit more done on the boat this weekend ready to paint the bottom, a few questions i have.

I will be using just rustoleum paint on the bottom( never leave boat in the water)

question

1 how many coats ?

2 how long between coats?

3 do i sand between coats and what grit?

I will be trying the roll and tip method.

Thanks to all

I do 3 coats. The first coat is very thin... just let the coats eventually cover everything... avoid the urge to pile it on to eliminate the under color...

Paint one coat every day.

No need to sand it. The paint will still be soft and will chemically bond with the next coat. Once you're done let it sit for a week... that's another hard part... but you really need to let that type of paint cure... if you start messing with the boat you'll likely ruin the paint...

What color are you going to use ? I know that's not an easy question. Most of them end up with a multicolor scheme. If I was going to suggest something I'd think about an aluminum silver paint job all over.... that boat has beautiful lines and it's hidden in a more complicated scheme.... Look at the single color photos here:

https://nocorog.com/Malibu

I think silver would look great... just my 2 cents... I use it all the time now on my projects... makes even old tired boats look really good imo..

IMG_2509.JPG

ok all i got some more painting done on the boat not looking great but not bad for the first time at the roll and tip method, But as i keep looking at my transom i would like to go ahead and replace it, the question and problem i am having is how do i remove the splash well??

The thing that concerns me are the two drain hole that go out the back of the boat it is like flared out when in comes out of the boat what is the best way to take it out so i can reinstall it?

Thanks again for all input.

This thread has several photos to give you a better idea. That's going to take some work to get it taken apart far enough to replace it. Lots of rivets to drill out... But like anything that was built it can be un built...

https://www.fiberglassics.com/forum/alumi-classics/130723-lonestar-malibu-195.html

Latest posts