Transom saver manual tilt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sho

Reaction score
Hey guys

I know transom savers are a controversial topic but I recently bought one for my boat. I plan to use it with a 20 horsepower 4 stroke motor with a manual tilt. I'm wondering should I leave the motor in the lowest locked position or leave the motor unlocked and attached to the transom saver with a bungee cord?

I'm hoping someone can let me know what they do since the transom saver came with no instructions.

Thanks in advance

Most of the time you will be hard pressed to get them to work out that your transom saver and your motor tilt will be at the same place. If you lock your motor one or the other will bear all the weight. If you lock your motor and it is carrying all the weight your transom saver isn't accomplishing anything, your transom still has all the weight and will still catch the brunt of the shock when you hit a pothole.

nccatfisher said:
Most of the time you will be hard pressed to get them to work out that your transom saver and your motor tilt will be at the same place. If you lock your motor one or the other will bear all the weight. If you lock your motor and it is carrying all the weight your transom saver isn't accomplishing anything, your transom still has all the weight and will still catch the brunt of the shock when you hit a pothole.

That makes sense to me. So if I understand you correctly I should have the motor unlocked and the transom saver fixed to the lower unit?

Sho said:
nccatfisher said:

That makes sense to me. So if I understand you correctly I should have the motor unlocked and the transom saver fixed to the lower unit?

Yep, the trailer, motor, and boat should all move together as one single unit. As NCCatfisher says, from a practical standpoint you will need to unlock the the motor tilt mechanism to accomplish this. You want the motor to be fully supported with no play between it and the transom saver. That would be difficult to do if you try to fit the transom saver to the motor in its locked position.

LDUBS said:
Sho said:
nccatfisher said:

Yep, the trailer, motor, and boat should all move together as one single unit. As NCCatfisher says, from a practical standpoint you will need to unlock the the motor tilt mechanism to accomplish this. You want the motor to be fully supported with no play between it and the transom saver. That would be difficult to do if you try to fit the transom saver to the motor in its locked position.

Ok so I think I got it now. Motor unlocked with a bungee cord attached to the transom saver. Then use a racket strap from the motor to the trailer?

I guess my only concern is if the transom saver somehow slips out the motor will smash into my transom.

My transom saver has two large holes near the outer end. I have a strong bungee holding the transom saver tight to the motor.

My case is a bit different since I have hydraulic T&T. Even though the T&T should hold the motor tight, I still use the bungee.

I am old. Belt and suspenders both.... are better than just one thing.

For manual tilt motors, yes you unlock and let it sit in the "vee" of the holder.
For TNT motors, you lower the lower unit gently into the "vee" of the holder, not heavily jammed in (as you don't want to split the "vee" in two).
In both cases securely attach a rubber bungee cord around the lower unit and affixed to the two holes at the base of the "vee" of the holder. Use the thick black rubber bungee with strong hooks. One of those cheapo elastic tiedowns with the hooks is not good enough.
This set up allows the bungee to absorb the bounces in the road, yet still protect the transom from unwanted flexing.
Without the bungee when the trailer hits a pothole, anything, the motor may pop upward releasing the holder downward....protecting nothing.
Your boat and motor are worth it!

I've had the bungee even break on a long road trip, and mcgyvered a ratchet strap from the trailer around the lower unit, to keep everything working as it should.

Tinny Fleet said:
For manual tilt motors, yes you unlock and let it sit in the "vee" of the holder.
For TNT motors, you lower the lower unit gently into the "vee" of the holder, not heavily jammed in (as you don't want to split the "vee" in two).
In both cases securely attach a rubber bungee cord around the lower unit and affixed to the two holes at the base of the "vee" of the holder. Use the thick black rubber bungee with strong hooks. One of those cheapo elastic tiedowns with the hooks is not good enough.
This set up allows the bungee to absorb the bounces in the road, yet still protect the transom from unwanted flexing.
Without the bungee when the trailer hits a pothole, anything, the motor may pop upward releasing the holder downward....protecting nothing.
Your boat and motor are worth it!

I've had the bungee even break on a long road trip, and mcgyvered a ratchet strap from the trailer around the lower unit, to keep everything working as it should.

Thanks for the explanation tiny fleet. Just to confirm the bungee cord should be enough and I don't need an extra racket strap? Also do you run the bungee cord below the cavitation plate and above the prop?

Pretty much what I do with my 25. Tilt "unlocked" and a good old rubber bungie around the lower unit. The bungie fits very tight and the motor doesn't move much at all other than a bit of side to side sway when crossing railroad tracks. I feel like I probably get laughed at because I have yet to see another jon boat using a transom saver, but my trailer is just too low to leave the engine down.

Latest posts