Battery Compartment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlong

Reaction score
This weekend I was doing some preventive maintenance in the battery compartment of my Alumacraft 1650 CC and noticed some white powder on the deck, surface corrosion of the compartment wall adjacent to the battery and pitting on the overhead framing . I have been stowing the battery in the forward corner of the compartment. The corrosion is generally limited to that quadrant of the comportment. I usually slide the battery aft to charge it and then move it back in the corner.

My guess is that either fumes are being emitted and/or battery fluid is being splashed out. I do keep the battery in a box with a lid.

The corrosion is not severe and I think I can sand out the pitted areas and apply Ospho in a couple of the hard to reach areas. Follow up with Zinc Chromate primer and then top coat it.

My first corrective action is NOT keeping the battery in the corner but further aft near the hatch opening where it can vent better.

I've also since read that charging the battery on an aluminum boat is not a good idea, even if it's trailered. So maybe I need to pull batteries out to charge?

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Latest posts