Need some brainstorming on rod tip holder - picture enclosed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breeves2245

Reaction score
Need an idea for something to screw down so I can lay my rod tips in them. Below is my new boat (see rod tips) and below that a pic of what I used on my last boat. It worked great, I clipped off what I didn't need and screwed down the rings. Easy to just drop the rod tip into but looked kinda odd. I was initially thinking of those vertical rod holders with the foam inserts but they were spaced too far apart and too large, plus the rod tips would have to be pressed in, I need them to easily drop in when I change rods sitting on the front deck.

Any ideas?

I’d make something soft that protects the tips and keeps them together. Like this

product-laptop-13-sleeve-front.png

Need more info. Are you just want to keep the tips separated, with the reels laying together without separation? Just like in your pic?
If you are only concerned with keeping the tips separated, how about a piece of 1x2 or 1x3 12-15 inches long, cut some deep notches in them and attach it to the floor with a bracket or two. You could felt line the notch to keep the wood from rubbing the tips.

Pool noodle....or Pipe Insulation. Slice it where you want it.

Use big washers to screw it down, or mount it to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and then fasten that down with velcro or ?????

richg99

richg99 said:
Pool noodle....or Pipe Insulation. Slice it where you want it.

Use big washers to screw it down, or mount it to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and then fasten that down with velcro or ?????

richg99

That right there is a good idea. Cut a small diameter pool noodle (AKA "floatie") so it has a half circle profile. Put velcro on the flat side to attach it to the deck. Cut notches on the top/curved part for the rod tips.

Got to go to Lowe's today, I'll pick up some pipe insulation and give it a go. Good idea and cheap. If it wears out easy to replace.

Didn't have to buy anything. Remembered I had a couple of six foot pieces in my basement from insulating the water pipes. This was done quickly and not cut very well but it really works well. I'll carve out another foot long section and get them spaced properly. Good suggestion!

i was having the same problem with my new alumacraft.how do i carry 4 nine foot flyrods without interfering with my bimini when it's up.we switch between sink tips and floating lines several times a day.it finally dawns on me to just mount 2 of my 4 scotty flyrod holders completely vertical and stand 2 of the rods straight up when we're out on the water.with the alumatrac mounts i can move them wherever i need to.tried it out this weekend and it worked perfect,but i always break them down and store them in their cases when i'm travelling.on my old g3 they could lay flat on the deck mounted in some berkley wall mount rod holders screwed horizontal to the decking.flyrods are the absolute pita to store on a boat.

I have one talent. That is....to somehow snag any extra vertical rods when casting. Doesn't matter into which corner that I put them, either.

I did it this week. Spun so much mono off of my baitcasting reel that I had to get the scissors out. I am impressed that you can fly cast and not catch something vertical in the background.

Got the slots cut more uniform. Decided to go with velcro. Bought some heavy duty holds 15 lbs velcro. Cleaned the boat side with rubbing alcohol. Sticks real good to the aluminum and also the the pipe insulation. Figured I'd try this first before I drilled two holes in the boat. Feels real secure, don't think it's going anywhere. A plus with the velcro, it raises the tubing up a bit to get the rod tips clear of the deck.

Looks good. Should do what you want.

IF...you find that the rod tips are jumping up and down, and you'd prefer them to stick closer to the deck while underway...

You might consider re-doing the Pipe insulation by making thinner slices into it. The narrower gap would hold the rod tips more tightly.

If you do that, you will have to mark the insulation so that you can easily find the slot. Two pieces of tape; one on each side of the slots, would mark the slices for you. The tape would probably have to be wound all of the way around the pipe, as tape prefers non-porous material to stick to, and the insulation is too porous for the tape to stick well.

Just musing.

regards, richg99

Latest posts