PFD Choices

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
Finishing up the floors and seats in the 1648 this week. Have hatch storage and a second about to go in, but still limited for space stowing three full size class III jackets.

What are some inflatable jacket options, tough material a must. A shop told me some states require them to be worn at all times. Hadn't heard that before.

There has to be one PFD for every person on board. California requires an inflatable PFD be worn if you want it to count as one of the required to be on board. This is also a USCG minimum standard.

Inflatables are typically type V. Type V has to be worn to be counted towards your quota of PFD's per person. Stowed away won't count. You need a type I, II or III for each person on board. I believe Mustang makes a type III inflatable but it's prohibitively expensive to buy and re-arm. I believe it's an automatic that works on water pressure rather than moisture detection. At $79 to re-arm I will stick with a type III vest.

Well, guess I'll keep the NRS III, put one on each seat back and store one in each storage hold. There have been times I feel more comfortable with one zipped up to my ears, Pamlico Sound return trips. May be room to use a watertight stuff sack and lash to the transom, easy to get to in a rush.

Thanks for the heads up on the rules.

Latest posts