Inflatable Life Vests

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone use inflatable life vests? I fish alone quite a bit and I don't tend to use my bulky PFD as much as I should. I'm going to buy an inflatable one and wear it whenever I'm aboard. They make class III inflatables now, but they are automatics, and kinda pricy. I'd rather have a manual because I have heard of people having issues with the autos inflating in the rain or in a humid vehicle like my truck cab. The manuals are only class V.

Hello Jethro. I am also out by myself most of the time. I'm not as young or nimble as I used to be and while I used to be an outstanding swimmer, I know my stamina isn't anywhere near what it was in my youth ( :( ). So I'm a prime candidate for an inflatable PFD. I wear an auto inflate PFD (type III) that I bought on sale at West Marine. I've worn it in the rain but not a lot. In general we do not have humid weather. Typically I hang it in the back seat area of my pick-up when I'm not wearing it on the boat. Mine has a manual pull cord as well as a tube you can blow into if needed to inflate the life vest. Far as I know they would all have these overrides.

I would normally look at a manual type because I'm a big believer in the less there is to go wrong the better. But in this case I like the idea that the thing will likely auto-inflate if for some reason I'm out of my senses. If I get premature inflation I guess I'll have to suffer the price of a rearming kit, which I feel is OK for the added protection. I'm not saying you should do the same. It is just my preference based on my situation.

Edit: Forgot to mention I don't find it uncomfortable to wear.

I have a auto inflatable too. I'm kinda in the same boat as LDOUBS. If I knock myself senseless then hopefully I'm covered. I've had mine on in a light mist and had no problem with it going off. If I jump into the lake it will do its thing, I tried it. There's a world of difference in wearing one versus the old style, a lot more comfortable.

Mine is comfortable to wear. I admit, I only wear it though when I'm on plane. I don't keep it on when fishing. A bit of advice, if you keep it in the back seat of your truck don't let your kids get to it. "Hey daddy what's this?" DON'T PULL TH...." "POOF"

Well, I was out and about yesterday from work and decided to burn a lunch hour at West Marine. I ended up getting an automatic, as it's actually a class III device instead of what most inflatables are, a class V. It does seem comfortable, the re-arming kits aren't horribly expensive and I think I will enjoy wearing it. I will make sure I am always wearing it when the big motor is on. I just really hope it doesn't go off in the rain and I'll probably be nervous everytime I wear it in any kind of weather.

Good for you. I'm still in the Stone Age but at least I wear it condition permitting. My conditions are anything that's not absolutely perfect so I wear it a lot.

I think I'm more likely to loose balance when the boat is stopped or at trolling speed and I'm standing/walking around for whatever reason -- fighting a fish or messing with downriggers, etc. So, I try to wear mine all the time.

I wear an Onyx brand Auto or Manual Inflation vest. Its attached to my kill switch and I wear it whenever the big motors running. Ive worn it in all day downpours and never had it go off. I wouldnt worry about weather, they pretty much need to be submerged to disolve the pill (part of the auto mechanism).

Latest posts