Trolling motor mount without damaging wires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpaMike

Reaction score
Hello again!

I am on to my next challenge. I am mounting a trolling motor on the bow. I need to make a platform upon which to mount it and will need to attach it to the gunwale.

I'm making it out of Azek to make the platform.

The obvious approach is to screw it to the gunwale, but the bow light wires run through the hollow aluminum gunwale.

Aany ideas how to attach a platform without cutting into the wires?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GrandpaMike said:
Hello again!

I am on to my next challenge. I am mounting a trolling motor on the bow. I need to make a platform upon which to mount it and will need to attach it to the gunwale.

The obvious approach is to screw it to the gunwale, but the bow light wires run through the hollow aluminum gunwale.

Thanks!

Can you attach string to the wires, then pull them back out if the way, mount motor, then repull them back in?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

troymcilravy said:
GrandpaMike said:
Hello again!

Thanks!

Can you attach string to the wires, then pull them back out if the way, mount motor, then repull them back in?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Hmmm... Not really. I would probably cut them when I pulled them back in. Maybe a wall anchor? Then the metal screw would not hit the wire if I don't hit them when I drill the hole for the anchor.

Thanks for the idea, though!
-Mike-

Re-run the wiring outside of the gunwale. Hard to say exactly without seeing the setup.

jojo said:
Re-run the wiring outside of the gunwale. Hard to say exactly without seeing the setup.
Thanks. Might have to, but hoping to avoid that. Here are some pictures.

8d7b20b6040d6a2aab615523b46f35c8.jpg
125c17ea2924ce5d7410cf474ab70779.jpg
f836452b3743922b8d625fb8580e2c5e.jpg

As was suggested, I believe you can pull wires back (may use an electrician's tape and/or stiff wire), mount your TM plate, and re-pull wires back into position. Nice having the wires inside gunnel....much prefered to having them exposed all along gunnel.

Latest posts