Battery "hold-back" device????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I've added a picture of a drawing of the stern of my tinny. The area is covered everywhere except for a hatch over battery #1 and the gas tank. It is a pretty normal arrangement, I think.

My problem is getting to the battery#2 and #3. The prior owner of the boat installed a metal closet rod in the area shown as a dark black line. Its function was simple enough...hold the two forward batteries from sliding around and banging into the plastic gas tank when underway.

Unfortunately, his choice of the closet rod wasn't the best. It is rusting AND it has some $^$^&%&% type of clips that hold it from being easily removed. I am going to have it pulled out completely.

What do you guys use to keep your batteries from sliding around in similar circumstances?

thanks richg99

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_102812.jpg
    IMG_20180415_102812.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 904
I use one of those ratcheting cargo bars in my pick-up bed. Pretty convenient but I don't really think it would be a good alternative for your needs.

It will likely be a pain reaching through the hatch, but could you install a couple of strap eyes for each of those batteries then secure them with a 1" strap.

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.56.00 AM.png

This is how I plan to do mine with angle around the bottom and over the top.

Attachments

• lund ssv 18_batteries.JPG
    lund ssv 18_batteries.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 895
I have all my batteries setting in plastic battery boxes. The boxes are bolted through the bottoms. No problems so far.

Thanks, guys. Problem solved. ( I hope). I bought a ratcheting bar that will replace the clothes hanger. It will be easy to remove and allow me to check and fill the batteries.

When these C$&% out, I'll most likely replace them with sealed cells....which are expensive.

Does that thing ratchet against the sides of the boat? Be careful, might bend the hull out of shape. There are regular plastic battery trays available, wouldn't something like that work better?

Latest posts