Alumacraft 1648 MV NCS vs Lowe Aura 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodycamp13

Reaction score
Both are similar with open floorplan and both have a floor - price is close. The Lowe is lighter weight but slightly thicker aluminum.

Which is the better quality boat?

Basic fw fishing rig.

Buying one of the two very soon.

I'll be powering with a 15HP Merc 2 stroke.

Thanks in advance.

I have no personal experience with either of these brands. However, when I was boat shopping, I read a lot of info for 3-4 months and came to the conclusion that the Alumacraft is a well respected brand. Just on what I have read, that would be my choice. I believe the Lowe is riveted, and most Alumacrafts are all welded, but looks like this model may be riveted as well. Could be that they contract it out to complete their line. I dunno.

I don't work for any dealer or boat company. I run or have owned six welded boats including a Lowe 1648 tunnel which was a good flat bottom run about.

I almost purchased the Alumacraft last year, it was a toss up between it and Alweld Marsh series, after smoking all three over side by side at a board sponsor's lot. There was about $100 difference in all three. Didn't notice that much difference between the Lowe and Alumacraft.

Off topic, sorry, but have you looked at Alwed Marsh? The weld quality and fit/finish is very good, no side ribs great use of space. Was within a week of putting down a deposit on one, found a good deal on a barely used Weldbilt close by sitting on a trailer. Runs a tiller jet.

I have owned neither but have been aboard several of each. My buddy that I run rivers along side the most uses a Lowe Big Jon. Its a fairly light weight riveted boat and I think it's well over 10 years old. Never leaked a drop and has been a great boat. I don't think you will go wrong with either.

My mistake, failed to catch your motor hp before previous post. The open floor plan you suggest was tops on my shopping list.

I prefer welded hulls because of the rocky rivers we fish, haven't run anything else.

jtf said:
My mistake, failed to catch your motor hp before previous post. The open floor plan you suggest was tops on my shopping list.

I prefer welded hulls because of the rocky rivers we fish, haven't run anything else.

No problem. I would prefer a welded boat but for what I'm doing I don't need it and I don't want the expense right now.

I'm waiting on my dealer to get me a final price for the Alumacraft - the front deck is slightly larger and higher.

Were they really that close in price? I priced the same ones a couple of years ago and the Lowe was quoted much higher. When all was said and done I ended up with the Alumacraft 1648 NCS which is a flatbottom with the same open floorplan but no floor just open ribs. Went with it due to slightly lower price plus a larger front deck and truly flat floor.

Bodycamp13 said:
They are roughly $250 difference. Both are riveted 1648's.

I believe I was quoted a $500-600 difference. Dealers were limited near me though plus one was a Cabelas which of course will be MSRP high.

I think I bought my 1648 NCS model for $1850. Also got a TN trailer for an additional $750 and purchasing a trailer package made the tax rate go down. My package ended up being like $2650 out the door.

wmk0002 said:
Bodycamp13 said:

I believe I was quoted a $500-600 difference. Dealers were limited near me though plus one was a Cabelas which of course will be MSRP high.

I think I bought my 1648 NCS model for $1850. Also got a TN trailer for an additional $750 and purchasing a trailer package made the tax rate go down. My package ended up being like $2650 out the door.

Who did you buy from?
Thanks

Bodycamp13 said:
wmk0002 said:
Bodycamp13 said:

Who did you buy from?
Thanks

Local place in Cullman, AL called Leon's Marine. They are an Alumacraft dealer but are more of a repair shop that sells Alumacrafts on the side for very little markup. There was another dealer in West-Central Georgia that had similar, if not better prices by a few bucks, but that didn't offset the fact that it was 3 hours away from me vs 20 minutes.

https://www.akmccallumco.com/

Their web site is pretty good for dimension/weights to compare manufactures.

It was 3 hours any direction to look at boats from here. Close to home is always better for me.

Latest posts