Old timers formula question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldorthemagnificent

Reaction score
Anybody ever add stain to the old timers formula of linseed oil, mineral spirits, spar urethane?
Or would one be better to stain first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen it done on wood that doesn't normally take stain well/evenly. Sometimes it is the only way to get an even finish. I have even seen professionals use dye, but that is out of my league.

I stained some white oak before sealing with old timers formula. I used it make a bench seat for my StarCraft runabout.

Thanks. I have mixed stain with linseed oil before making knife handles. I want to darken the wood a little more than what the formula will. I’m on the fence about old timers anyways. I’ve never used it. I’ll mix up a test batch and try it on a drop piece first.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Thanks. I have mixed stain with linseed oil before making knife handles. I want to darken the wood a little more than what the formula will. I’m on the fence about old timers anyways. I’ve never used it. I’ll mix up a test batch and try it on a drop piece first.

An oil based stain, yes? I suspect a water based one would not play well with the old timers ingredients. I look forward to hearing how it works.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I stained some white oak before sealing with old timers formula. I used it make a bench seat for my StarCraft runabout.
I used Varathane brand oil based stain.

a254c33610fdbfb769d270f141106052.jpg

I mixed up my formula and added a half part stain. Both stain and spar urethane are minwax. Everything mixes together fine.
2de9720b9b53b0412a402e238c86e991.jpg

Test piece is a drop from the seats that we used to set the planer. I didn’t sand it.
c8377952d85eab1929cbbc3b0d2ed325.jpg

The stains didn’t darken as much as I thought it might but it’s not that dark a stain anyways (early American). So I added some ebony stain I had leftover and did the end of the sawhorse board. Looks ok.
I guess the short answer is Yes. You can add stain to old timers formula. I may just stain the boards first and then seal. That way I have more control over the color. I know I’m over thinking it for this old junker but it’s more about me learning.

Latest posts