Ply thickness?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
What thickness ply is standard for decking? I was going to go 18mm (3/4") but if that's overkill or too thin be great to know.

Attachments

• 20180428_163855.jpg
    20180428_163855.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,591
  • 20180428_163920.jpg
    20180428_163920.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,590
5/8 is pretty popular. I have used 1/2 for drop in floors between bench seats and it was fine when supported properly. 3/4 I used on my first boat and it was awesome but heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When restoring my '81 Lund PIKE, I contacted Lund, they told me that the original materials used in my boat was 5/8" thick.

I replaces all the decking and compartment covers with 5/8" marine plywood. It was plenty stiff. I treated it all with 3 coats of "Old timers, formula".

I will probably outlast me.

Consider weight on boat......# of persons, weight of persons, battery(ies), storage, etc.
Since I'm 6'-280#, I decided to go with 3/4"

I went with 3/4" instead of the original 5/8" when I refit my Crestliner. I did not replace the locker or the console which reduced weight, so I was not worried about the weight gain of 11 1/2lbs differnce per sheet. The floor is much stiffer and solid under foot. Well worth the added 34 1/2 lbs to 46 lbs

Any answer could be correct or it could be incorrect.
Thickness would depend on support and the spread between the support. 1/2 inch could be plenty, if supports are spaced close, or 3/4 inch could be bouncy if the supports are spaced too far. I used 1/2 inch and my floor is quite solid.

Depends on how much bracing you have, I used 1/2 inch and it was plenty for my flooring and it is lighter too, but if you are spanning a large gap you might want to go 5/8. Lay a piece down and walk on it. If it flexes more than you like go thicker or add another aluminum brace, Me, I like light weight so 1/2 inch and aluminum bracing is my choice.

I saw a guy on the hull truth forum use that plastic deck board (Trex, I think?) on a pontoon and it came out pretty awesome. Its heavier, but it'll never rot.

Found the thread - https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/666492-composite-decking-pontoon.html

Looks like a cool idea. no worries about rot.

Latest posts