Decking bow question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebass

Reaction score
Picked up a 14' vhull that I plan on decking.

I've got a somewhat decent grasp on how to frame it, but the front bench is about 3-4 back from the bow so there's nothing to support the framing up front. What's the best way to go about supporting the framing?

I plan on framing the boat with wood but I'm not against using a little aluminum if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180423_172454.jpg
    IMG_20180423_172454.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 922
I would build the deck across the middle and front seat. At the front of the bow seat then rise up and build at gunwale level. Gives a spot to mount a trolling motor and you can put a hatch to store anchor, life vests, bottle of scotch and those cigars you don’t tell your wife about. Framing between seats is easy. Off the gunwale with some angles to support upper section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I would build the deck across the middle and front seat. At the front of the bow seat then rise up and build at gunwale level. Gives a spot to mount a trolling motor and you can put a hatch to store anchor, life vests, bottle of scotch and those cigars you don’t tell your wife about. Framing between seats is easy. Off the gunwale with some angles to support upper section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I did, and it's a very good plan.

Go on top of the gunwales from the point of the bow back to the first bench, and cut a small filler panel to go between it and your deck.

The space up there is not that useful, too narrow to stand in, and as mentioned, the raised platform is a good place to mount rod holders, a TM, sonar, cupholders, etc.

This is all under the assumption that you are going to deck on top of the benches, which is the best way to go on a boat that size IMO.

Latest posts