Night fishing lights?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANZIG

Reaction score
Was out a couple times in the 14 ft-er last season still fishing the bottom and had trouble seeing the rod ends. Missed several bites on account of it, the small LED lantern in the boat was just not getting out and up to the rod ends while the rods were in the holders.

Could burn the Coleman but,, bugs.

My only decent thought was an LED "spot" on a 5 or 6 ft pole but then I would have to deal with the pole when not in use.

Any ideas?

Red lights if you're going to put lighting in the boat - helps not draw bugs.

If you're worried about seeing your line/tip for strikes switch to a fluorescent mono-filament (STREN makes one) and put a black light on in the boat. Your line will glow plenty well enough to see and, again, it won't attract bugs.

My reel has a clicker on it. If I didn't have that I'd just put a small bell on the tip of the rod.

Use circle hooks and let the fish hook themselves. I use circle hooks and let them run a little ways before engaging the fight. Bait clickers are a very easy way to be notified of a fish running with your bait.

https://glowarehouse.com/gw_us/night-sports/fish-lights

For surf fishing the OBX, we use these. You can get a small pack at Dick's SG with a plastic clip. When the few glow joints included in the pack run down, replace them with a couple three packs for a few bucks, you will have the plastic clip. Or, we use good quality black tape to secure them near the rod tip. Kind of fun to watch the dip and bang when the bite's on. These glow lights are small and don't mess with the rod's action.

And we too use circle hooks, no need to set the hook. I also use a red-lens head lamp to bait. Some of the die-hards get fussy if you switch on a bright light.

Red LED's don't throw very far and white light screws up your night vision but there are some inexpensive pretty cool red / white headlamps that you could use. I have a white light LED headlamp that's dimmable. You don't mess with your night vision as much if it's dimmable.

Latest posts