Simple & INGENIOUS tie down for the front of a vehicle!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine came over to borrow my 'big tub' tandem yak and together we threw it up on the rack on his small SUV. I advised that he use a tie down to the bow - "No problemo" ... he says.

Look at his really COOL idea! Simple really! He lifted the hood of his car and found where there were stock 'studs' on the sides of the hood frame. DO NOT use screws! Or replace such screws with through bolts.

He just took an 18" length of 1" nylon webbing, burnt the cut ends with a lighter to seal them, folded it over and using a bolt and large fender washer, bolted the strap to the vehicle frame. He used a torch and hot ice pick to make or form the hole in the strap for the bolt, but that is also why he used a large fender washer - to hold it securely. (FYI, fender washers are nothing but a larger diameter washer, of the same bolt hole ID).

This trick works slick!
I just had to share with youse guys ..

Attachments

• Hood Tie Down2.jpg
    Hood Tie Down2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 866
  • Hood Tie Down1.jpg
    Hood Tie Down1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 866
I have several trailers to choose from depending on what I have to move but I will be looking under the hood of my car.

Glad to see someone else doing this also. People stop me all the time to tell me something is hanging out of my hood.

Looks like a great idea.

The only possible negative that I could see would be having some paint rubbed off where the straps exit the underside of the hood. A loose piece of felt or something similar would probably protect the paint.

Latest posts