Pedestal seat systems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindBag86

Reaction score
Hey All

Been grinding over what would be the best to use as a driver and passenger seating system. Will be mounting into the rear bench seat on my jon boat. I know everyone talks about the tried and true 3/4” pin system but are guys using these while driving too? I know these are only technically rated under 5mph and “fishing only”. Any other system seems too bulk for a jon and requires a pedestal post where I am going to mount essentially flush.

Thoughts? What is everyone using?

These are 7" pedestals bolted to bench tops. Works pretty well and rated for speed.
DSCF6913.JPG

DSCF6914.JPG

I just replaced my 20-year old Springfield Marine Group taper-lock pedastals, fixed height, with their Explorer bolt-on pedastals, since I don’t move them around the boat. Lowest price was on Amazon.

https://www.springfieldgrp.com/products/2-38-series/pedestal-packages/fixed-height-packages/explorer-fixed-height-packages

FWIW there was NOTHING wrong with the old pedastals, but the tin bases had some corrosion from constant contact on the floor on a boat that’s always been used in saltwater. I could have just bought new bases ... but was unable to get the old posts out of the bases, even whilst using a ‘heat hammer’ and sledge.

This is what I got, Explorer model using a 2-7/8" diameter anodized aluminum post, 10" rise, Trac-Lock III Swivel on a 9" satin base.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DOWOX4A?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

I know that all the boats I've owned with pedestal seats used a fixed base that has a locking swivel for the driver as they came from the factory. But those are high horsepower boats generally.

FishinLite said:
These are 7" pedestals bolted to bench tops. Works pretty well and rated for speed.
View attachment 1

FishinLite,

That base / height for the driver and rear seat is exactly what I am looking for (just a couple inches), but they don't look like 7" pedestals? Do you know the brand you used or if that was just adjustable?

Thanks

They are Springfield Pedestals 2 7/8" dia, the tops and bases were sold separately with swivel locks. I bought them from Great Lakes Skipper.

Great Lakes Skipper tend to sell non-current stock at a reduced price, so you never know what they will have.

I am pretty sure they are 7" tall. I was concerned that they would be to tall. The top takes up the better part of the 7" as you can see from my pictures.

In checking Great Lakes Skipper they have some 4" based at this time. That would put the swivel top at the bottom of the pedestal. Would probably work equally as well.

For the rear bench the 3/4" pin style will work fine as long as you are putting the seat directly into the base with no pedestal on your benches. If you need the extra height by using a pedestal you need one of the wider bases that are permanently mounted to the pedestal and seat base. I use the 3/4" KingPin series from Springfield for my rear bench passenger seat, and their mainstay series adjustable pedestal for the drivers seat. If you only need a few inches of height, a seat directly into the 3/4" base probably gives about 3" of height above the base because of the spring on the seat base. I got all my my bases and pedestals from Springfield's scratch and dent site. Heavy savings on items that are just barely cosmetically damaged. I had to look hard at a few items I bought from there to even find what they considered "scratch and dent". https://www.springfieldmarinescratchanddent.com/

Latest posts