V Boat Extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne Lea

Reaction score
Hi:
I have a Spectrum 1400 with a 18 HP Nissan outboard - I really like the boat, but want a longer boat. I have been looking for an 18' - 20' aluminum V boat for a long time and cannot find a used one. I am thinking about removing the transom on the boat I have now and stretching it to 18-20' Anyone have any experience stretching an aluminum boat?
Thanks,
Wayne.

No experience doing it and never seen it done but it would be cool. Usually longer boats are also wider so that would be a challenge. There is a guy here that widened his boat but never seen one extended. I'm sure it's possible though.

Don’t do it ... and I think you meant stretching it 18 to 20” ... but regardless, you will NEVER be able to replace the structural integrity you’d be removing by having an addition added. Think about it, instead of the topside panels, gunnel and running bottom with chines all tied into the transom ... you will essentially have butt joints or a HINGE effect now up to 2’ forward of the transom. The transom knee is argueably the strongest integral component of the stern and is designed to take the full thrust of the OB motor and spread out to the ‘full’ running bottom. You’ll be localizing all the stress into a 18-20” piece butt-joined to the rest of the hull; that’s cra-kra-KrAzY!

For replacing ribs or other structural component of wood or frp-encased wood, one usually employs a scarj joint of 12 to 1 ratio. If we applied that to thin tin, you had one heck of an overlap of new to old pieces and I just don’t see how it could be done to even to begin to look cosmetically OK, never mind to be truly safe and sound.

And yes, I have completely replaced full transoms in tin, f’glass and wood boats before. Replace/repair - yes. Extend - no way ...

I’d just buy another boat ...

Appreciate your input thanks. So who builds an 18 - 20' aluminum skiff? I do not want a blue water aAlaskan built boat I want to get into the back country and fish/float in the shallow water

wayne Lea said:
Appreciate your input thanks. So who builds an 18 - 20' aluminum skiff? I do not want a blue water aAlaskan built boat I want to get into the back country and fish/float in the shallow water
All the major brands go 18' and above. And I second the don't do the extension.

The cost of those 20 foot boats is outrageous though.... I wonder if it would be that difficult to find 2 identical 14 foot boats for cheap and simply combine them with a generous overlap and a few hundred rivets.... The joint would need be at the forward point where the sides became parallel...

I've seen it done but I wouldn't do it. It was done to an all welded john boat. Basically the guy that did it made it a compartment, almost along the lines of a pod that went 2 feet back and extended up to the gunwales and it was welded to the existing hulls transom. The chines on the bottom were duplicated using aluminum angle, extended and welded to the bottom. The original transom was left "as is" and the extension had a couple of knees welded to the new bottom. Stringers were also incorporated into the new hull section. The top was tied into the top of the original transom with a piece of aluminum.

Wayne L: I'm not sure where you are located. I'm in Northern California. Just out of curiosity I took a short look around craigslist. There are tons of 12'-16' utility style V's. I saw only one 18' (in Sacramento). It has a 30 HP evinrude and someone has added a fiberglass center console. They want $2,800. There are ton's of fancy river jets in the 20' & above range, but they carry heavy price tags. Also saw a couple of the heavier "bay or alaskan" style boats.

What you are looking for is sure to be out there. Might take some work and patience to find it.

Here is a pic of the 18' gregor I mention above:

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 10.49.41 PM.png

Thanks had comp issues:
Yeah some of the big aluminum boats are crazy when it comes to price - i thought of getting another boat and adding them together but I have a Spectrum 1400 and the transom is narrower than midships.
I cannot find a 18' that would be kool.

Attachments

• 1400.JPG
    1400.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 788

Latest posts