‘Porcupine’ tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Well this 1960s vintage Starcraft tin (only $100 to me) must have seen some hard saltwater use, as every year a few rivet heads pop off here and there. This year was no different, as we put it in for Spring trout fishing ... and our feet got wet!

And since this 12’ tin belongs to my 13-year old, I handed her a prick punch (90-degree included angle), a hammer, and a drill with a 3/16 bit and had her drill out the rivets that looked suspect. Luckily, tipped up as she is, some of the holes were weeping water, because I sprayed the inside of the hull with the hose.

Holy smokes ... the hull looks like a pin cushion with all of the Cleco fasteners in it! I think in a year or two, maybe the boat will be entirely re-riveted!

Here’s the story of ‘her’ (meaning my youngest fixing ‘her’ boat)’ rebuild: https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41042&hilit=12+skiff

Attachments

• EC72E9BC-2094-481B-AAF2-0A2C85A48A04.jpeg
    EC72E9BC-2094-481B-AAF2-0A2C85A48A04.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 454
I have never installed or removed a rivet. My knowledge is pretty much what I've read here on TB.net. All I can say is your 13 year old knows a ton more about rivets & riveting than I do. Hahah

LDUBS said:
I have never installed or removed a rivet. My knowledge is pretty much what I've read here on TB.net. All I can say is your 13 year old knows a ton more about rivets & riveting than I do. Hahah
I installed my first ones the other day, and I am still unsure about removing them ha. In my 30's....maybe one day I'll do it. Until then maybe we can hire OP's kid.