Fishing out of a 1232 jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
CORRECTION
I just revised this to a 1232 jon. I measured in the dark the first time, and didn't double check when I had it out in the light. This even makes it more surprising.

Took my friend's 1232 today rather than drag out my 14 Mirro. I was a little apprehensive about it, but ended up very pleasantly surprised after a day of fishing from it. Had a couple of 48" shelving boards across front and back with flotation cushions and an old Minn Kota 65C 28 lb. thrust motor.
We are fishing small under 10hp water and it covered everything we wanted and I didn't feel a bit tipsy or crowded in the boat. It will now be our go to rig with the small water we are fishing.
Great thing is it fits in my truck, probably doesn't weigh 70 lbs., so loading and unloading was a breeze.
We don't have a bunch of gear, so room wasn't an issue either.

Very interesting. I am glad that you posted this thread.

I already have two tinnys, but I still would like another more easily transportable small boat.

My little 8-acre lake in Texas won't allow ANY motors, not even a trolling motor. I don't want another trailer around, and the boat will spend much of its time floating on the pond. Would you please be so kind as to measure the widest point on the 1236? If that measurement was 48 inches or less... then I think I could stick 2/3rds of the hull into the back of my van. Add an extension, and I could transport the jon to a number of places without much trouble. thanks rich

I have a 1232 lowe that is a blast. It's great that you can just put it in the back of your truck. Already have 3 other trailers and don't need another registration to pay for. When loading at the ramp, I run a ratchet strap across the lower front tie downs (in the bed of my truck) and hook a hook and pully in the middle. Run the mooring rope through. It helps when loading by myself. Sometimes you just can't beat going light.
https://youtu.be/ghrYkaBt_zA

[youtube]ghrYkaBt_zA[/youtube]

Richg99,
Widest part is 45 1/2". It is an older(80's?) Sears brand and the sides are around 14". My truck is a Tacoma and with the tail gate down, I have about 3' hanging over. Couple of ropes tied off to front handle, trolling motor and battery stowed toward the rear of the boat( I load the rear toward the cab) and it is very stable when hauling.
I don't know what the next size up is, so I don't know if I could get anything bigger to fit between the wheel wells.
And obviously, other brands would probably have different dimensions.
I can easily lift the boat up on my tail gate, grab the front and push it in. Soooo much easier than fooling with trailering my 14 footer.

I might add I posted this for people searching the web for small jon capability and to bring people to Tin Boats.

See my original post where I corrected the size. The Riverdog post urged me to recheck. His didn't look any smaller than mine.
Who would have thunk a 32 would work this well.

Looks even better for your situation Richg99.

richg99 said:
Neat video. Hope that dog doesn't chase lures after you cast them out.... Ha
After 17 years, she's no longer with me. RIP. She was OK in the jon boat, not so much in the kayak.

WV1951 said:
Thanks for the video. Shows a jon can handle choppy water. That is one sweet running motor.

You got to to be careful. This is a guy we found in the middle of the same lake.

https://youtu.be/ZmKbyzpvSug

I'm sure he added those pvc pontoon for some reason. :roll:

Latest posts