Grab bar stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmeaney15

Reaction score
I have a self installed grab on my boat made of 3/4” cast iron pipe. It has four legs, front two or fastened down to 2x4’s beneath the deck using screws, back two or fastened to the thin aluminum used on a typical Jon boat also with screws. My problem is with the back two legs, the screw holes have become stretched and the grab bar now has significant north to south sway (there is still no side to side sway). IMG_5486.JPGIMG_5487.JPGIMG_5691.JPG
Third image is showing where/ what angle
the two legs on the right side of the bar are attached. How can I attach that cast iron flange located on the aluminum to ensure more permanent stability?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that design is that the mounting points are virtually on top of each other. You've got a long lever attached to a very narrow base. Can't you redesign the lower legs to attach to the floor about a foot further back ? You need to separate your attachment points...

Definitely see the logic in this however the floor behind this is 1/8” thick aluminum sheet laid over the inside of the hull. It has to much flex to provide support for this. I could use the same thought process and extend the legs forward and secure to them to 2x4’s as well a little further up the deck, however I will have a to add another joint to each side to accomplish this which will add height to the grab bar which I would like to avoid. My best thought right now is to mount those bottom flanges to a more rigid piece of metal sheeting and then weld that to the seat but I have 0 welding experience. Any thoughts on how I could achieve my goal while leaving the mounting locations as they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reinforcing the bottom with a plate as is will definitely help. The plate wouldn't need to be welded.. just bolt it to the existing surface.

a piece of diamond plate that runs about 8" wider on each side would do a lot..

Latest posts