Patching inner transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sej71

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to patch up my inner transom seam. I patched the outside with Quick Aluminum Epoxy. It looks really good but I'm debating on what to use inside. I took the silicone the guy before me had on there and found some soft puddy material under it (he used it in every seam I've cleaned so far). There was a slow leak coming over the top of his patch job on one side (hmm, I'll need to double check my outside patch job).

I'm debating between these options for the inside...

1. Quick Aluminum Epoxy
2. No More Nails Adhesive
3. A combination of 1 & 2, maybe a bead NMN 1st and then patch over top with the Quick Aluminum?

The Quick Aluminum is very hard stuff, I'm kinda worried it might crack over time. A guy from Home Depot reco'd the No More Nails Adhesive saying it would stay flexible but extremely strong and waterproof.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks,
Shayne
c7c5b4800ea2a2304b346afd71af2827.jpg
daa5234a0b1f360892de88d7ff03c62e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

You might also want to buck the rivets in the stern, if you're having slow leaks.

And you should check the curing agents in that No More Nails adhesive, as I know the curing agent in most silicone is not compatible with tin. If it were mine, I'd use the West Systems G-Flex 650 liquid 'flexible' epoxy, as that will weep into ares those other products will never reach. A hair dryer on warm can help it weep into areas really well. See here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40954

Any of these products need to be top-coated to prevent UV damage, like gray Rust-Oleum paint and is best applied to cleaned, prepped and primed surfaces.

Thanks DaleH, No More Nails lists aluminum as a compatible surface. The rivets seemed fine back there, I think the problem is a big gap formed and he stuffed puddy in it. I worked hard to get it all out and then filled it with Quick Aluminum Epoxy but now I'm thinking I shoulda closed that gap instead of sealing it.

My only issue with using the west systems stuff is I'm not crazy about having to paint it after because I'm gutting this boat for a conversion in the offseason and had planned on grinding every surface for a final repaint.

I've also got Fasco Steelflex Super Slick ready to go but I'm waiting till I finish all my hull drilling this offseason (aluminum framing) so don't mess up my nice paint job. So I guess I'm just looking for a short term/easy solution to get through this season. My neighbour says the No More Nails Adhesive will definitely work but will be nearly impossible to remove later. I think I'm leaning towards the Quick Aluminum.

I am growing tempted tho to just Steelflex the bottom and transom right now and leave the top till the conversion is done.

1fdf7fc3faf510a23caabf0e341ad75f.jpg

You should also remove those SS bolts and put nylon washers under the heads ... as otherwise the tin in that area will be weakened and eaten away by galvanic corrosion, i.e., the dissimilar metals of SS to tin, where the tin will give up its ions to the more noble SS.

This situation is exponentially worsened if the boat is used in saltwater, which is an ideal electolyte to make the electrical connection. I know, I know ... overkill ... but it'll make that tin skin last the LIFETIME of the boat.

Hmm I didn't really notice those bolts, I thought they were original maybe. Maybe the guy before me put them in.

I edited my last post, adding more detail.

Thanks again DaleH

Latest posts