Hinge attachment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I need to attach a 4" or 5" hinge on my Lowe 1040 bench seat and have Q's about metal and fastener selection. The boat is never stored in the water, is under a canvas cover at all times and the boat is electrically isolated from the charger and batteries.

Since the boat metal is rather thin should I use aluminum pop rivets, or stainless sheet metal screws to secure the hinge?

Regarding the hinge material is stainless or aluminum best? Maybe even a plastic cooler hinge? Are there any fretting or galvanic corrosion issues that could rot away the hull material with either the hinge or fastener material selection?

PS, the hinge will experience nearly zero load regarding weight / stress.

Gary, I don't really know which choices are best. It seems like aluminum to aluminum w/ alum rivets would eliminate cross metal corrosion. But that it just seat of the pants, so best you hold out for someone more knowledgeable then me.

I got a little curious when you mentioned cooler hinges. I did a some Googling and was surprised at how easy it is to find replacement cooler hinges. I also saw that SeaDog makes an injection molded fiberglass/nylon hinge with a stainless pin. It isn't the 4 or 5 inches you are looking for. Probably half that.

Well, I decided to gen up something different.

I bought a piece of 1.5" aluminum angle bracket that I will size to my device, screw to the seat with aluminum sheet metal screws (yes there is such a thing) and cradle my device in between the two angle brackets.

Pics to follow when I get the screws from Ebay :)

Latest posts