Fixing screw holes above waterline

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcampbell011

Reaction score
I just purchased a boat off Craigslist and have been researching the best way to fill some screw holes in the side. I probably have around 7-8 holes total to fill. From what I've read there are a few options. Here is what I'm considering..

1. Use an aluminum rivet with 5200 on it... this is probably what I am going to do... I'm a little worried about how the rivet will look from the other side.

2. JBweld marine-weld... put tape behind the holes and fill with epoxy and try to keep it looking nice

3. Aluminum brazing rods..I would wire wheel the paint off around the holes... but I still think the aluminum a few inches away would get hot enough to melt the paint... also could getting the aluminum too hot cause damage to the hull?

4. Use small SS bolts and those sealing washers

5. Marine-tex putty epoxy... mix the putty together and stuff into hole

6. Take it to a welder

What do you guys think is the best choice in this case?

Re9WBYDH-Pb3yWflGbQTYJu48uN5VYd4GKbG71LL1mNZF3CWZTR1WI2uGyU=w2400

I worked on commercial dishwashers for 35 years and never found anything that sealed holes better than nuts and bolts with washers and a little sealant. Easiest, fastest and very reliable. You might even find a need for those holes in the future and removing the bolts would be better than drilling through new welds or epoxy. I'd probably take the easy way out and use nuts, bolts and sealing washers.

I had some small holes where I removed a transducer. Found some nylon screws and nuts at my local hardware store. Little more pricey than metal ones. With a bit of sealant, worked perfectly. Plus, no worry about metal to metal corrosion.

DaleH said:
I’d just use a suitable sized ‘closed end’ pop rivet, sealed, and would be done with it.

I am with Dale, Simple and quick, easy to do and inexpensive. If you can't find them local there are plenty to be found on the internet.
Just make sure they are all aluminum-- no steel mandrels.

You could also go with solid rivets,, not too much more trouble if you have an air hammer.

Rivets - nothing involving heat as it will mess with the finish on the side of the boat.

I would buck solid rivets, easy to do and that location makes it really simple, no need for sealant at the top of the gunnel like that either. All you need is a rivet and a couple hammers, EZPZ.

That's what I did when I removed my seat. Plus the boat already has rivets in it.

surfman said:
I would buck solid rivets, easy to do and that location makes it really simple, no need for sealant at the top of the gunnel like that either. All you need is a rivet and a couple hammers, EZPZ. That's what I did when I removed my seat. Plus the boat already has rivets in it.
That would certainly be the easiest, cheapest and fastest way to fix it ... since I already sent 3/16" solid rivets out to Tyler anyway :wink: .

Latest posts