Rookie question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flat bottoms aren’t usually flat at the bow where it starts to curve up. The deck allows you to use all the space in the boat for standing. The elevated height makes it easier for certain types of fishing, bass, pike etc. a deck isn’t a good idea on a boat less than 14’ in my opinion due to stability issues. I’m sure there are exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the whole deck thing myself, it adds weight and I've never felt that standing 12" higher helps me any. It may, but it's not worth the weight to me. That however is just my opinion, as many people have decks and if they don't they build them so I may well be in the minority.

If you are a bass fisherman, the extra height gained with a deck, and standing on that deck, is a big advantage in being able to see into the water to spot rocks, downed wood or beds where the fish are holding. It also provides a flat space for operating a foot controlled trolling motor.

Latest posts