Anchors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of a spot lock so I had to research it. Let's see if I got this straight. A fully automated, GPS controlled trolling motor that hold the boat in position?

Either that or a coffee can filled with concrete... they both do about the same thing...

On my tin boat, I frequently fish fast moving rivers where the spot lock on my 80lb thrust Terrova is not enough to hold me in position. I now have an electric winch with a 55lb chain anchor that will hold me in any current. The custom anchor system is made by Tracy's custom river boats in Newaygo, MI. The chain anchor doesn't get stuck and seldom requires very much anchor line to be let out.

15d5tnr.jpg

I was actually thinking of something heavy on the end of a rope when I posted the question, but I have to admit that spot lock Gizmo is pretty slick. Way out of my budget.gge

Intrigued by the chain anchor idea though. I can see how that might be less prone to getting snagged on something.

Old boat had a small (12 lb?) Navy anchor. Don't use an anchor much but the few times I did it held well in fast current and mud bottoms. I liked it. The new boat has a smaller sized Danforth style anchor. It came with the boat. I haven't used it yet but have used larger ones with larger boats. They also hold well and are not too hard to retrieve as long as there isn't something like a old tree to get hung up on (don't ask :( ).

I hear of guys dragging a chain when they want to slow drift a river for steelhead. Don't know much about it beyond what I think I heard.

I agree. The Spot Lock sounds pretty darn good but I don't even have a trolling motor much less something that fancy.

I have a 15 lb mushroom anchor and a 10 lb navy type anchor, both work ok. I use them because they came with the boat, I am frugal.
Tim

I'm "trimming out" a new 14' Alumacraft Jon boat so I can't blame it on the previous owner if I buy or do something wrong. I appreciate the advise.

i use a richter style spike anchor on the bow and a navy on the stern.works great on the river or a windy lake.i also use an anchor buddy.if you're really budget minded,you can pour cement into a bucket and put a bent piece of rebar in the top and pull it out of the bucket after it sets.they work really good and no problem if you hang up and need to cut it off.i did it for several years.cost me pennies.

macawman said:
I was actually thinking of something heavy on the end of a rope when I posted the question, but I have to admit that spot lock Gizmo is pretty slick. Way out of my budget.gge

I found an older model terrova motor in my price range then scored the ipilot for it on ebay for $50 or so. I thought it was out of my financial reach too but with a little patience I was able to eventually put it together.

It serves as an anchor that doesn't disturb the fish directly beneath the boat which is HUGE when fishing in the cold in current or wind.

onthewater102 said:
Minn Kota spot lock. Quiet, precise, activate from anywhere in the boat.

I use the motorguide equivalent, an Xi5 to be exact. I have it hooked up to my fish finder and can plot a course and it'll follow it. It's almost like having cruise control. There is an anchor button on the remote control that does the same thing as a spot lock. The nice thing about the Minnkotas' is they'll follow a shoreline if they're setup to use Navionics from what I hear. The Motorguide doesn't do that, at least not that I'm aware of. Another cool thing about the remote models is if you come to the dock you can step off and park your boat away from the dock. Screws with peoples heads.

onthewater102 said:
Minn Kota spot lock. Quiet, precise, activate from anywhere in the boat.

I WILL have one of these on my next boat. I hate throwing the anchor and have gotten very good at holding my boat in position using the trolling motor in current. But it gets to be quite a pain in the butt doing so.

Spot lock is the way to go if you can, but I actually wasn't joking about the coffee can. Where I fish it's loaded with sunken trees and rough rock... Anchors are expensive when you lose a couple a year.

A plastic coffee can with a handle is the perfect anchor. Fill it with concrete and leave an old eye bolt sticking out of the top. The plastic is quiet and doesn't scratch up your boat like a big rusty piece of steel and if you lose it you're out 2 bucks instead of 20... If just concrete isn't heavy enough fill the bottom of the can with scrap steel....

Spot lock is definitely on my wish list, but it will have to wait. The concrete coffee can will have to do for a while. Thanks for all the input.

I don't have a lot of storage on my tinny, and I don't anchor in deep rocky water or gale force winds so my needs may not be like others here. That said, I use a PWC anchor by Kwik Tek. It's a vinyl coated 1.75 lb Fluke, it stows with the included line in its own bag and does not clank about in the boat.

s-l1600.jpg

I use a danforth and if I want to anchor the transom end as well I use a mushroom.

I've noticed that some have mentioned using different styles of anchors at bow and stern. Why a Danforth at fore and a mushroom aft?

Also, given relatively calm lake water, how much weight for a 14' jon boat?

macawman said:
I've noticed that some have mentioned using different styles of anchors at bow and stern. Why a Danforth at fore and a mushroom aft?

Also, given relatively calm lake water, how much weight for a 14' jon boat?

The only time I use anchors both of the bow and stern is when we are catfishing directly below the dam in my local river. I'm talking 50-60 yards below the face of a 30' dam. Anchoring at both the bow and stern keeps the boat from drifting around in the weird currents that the dam produces. I guess on a lake this would be beneficial with wind and little to no current you would find in most lakes.

I use a 15# river anchor on my 1648 riveted boat on the river. Holds well except in the really strong currents.

Latest posts