Corrosion on Aluminum boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregorguy

Reaction score
What's the best way to handle this area of corrosion on my aluminum boat?

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 996
First I’d take a pick and see how deep it is. Is it all over the boat or just in that spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news is it’s above the water line. I’d be inclined to clean it out with a light blasting and paint. Would involve painting the whole boat from the rub rail up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that area of the hull got insdvertantly splashed with a cleaning product that had a mild acid content to it. I’d try lightly rubbing it out using a copper pad and vinegar. Rinse well.

Go lightly working one small spot ... and you might be able to blend it in ... go heavy and you’ll be redoing the entire hull to match!

Had similar condition on 14ft Monark. I used a product called Aluthane with great results. It served as my base coat.
Sold by a company in New Hampshire at this website https://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluthane.html
It is used on bridges, grain bins and several boat examples on site.
Costly perhaps $80 per gallon and you need to use it all up or risk it hardening if stored. I lined up several items that needed painting and prepped them as well.

It may be more than you want to spend but thought I would share the solution that worked for me.
I was very pleased with how it covered and adhered to the boat and how final paint job adhered to it. Not for sure but it appears to have helped greatly with any possible leaks as the boat has Zero leaks at this point.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ken Q

Attachments

• Aluthane.JPG
    Aluthane.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 859

Latest posts