Plywood covering other than carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineman

Reaction score
I am in the middle of decking my Jon boat. For a variety of reasons I really don't want to use carpet. I have several gallons of leftover garage floor epoxy with non- skid additive. Could I use this to coat my plywood? Would I still use the spar varnish first? I was also looking at white bedliner. What do you think? Will either of these products work?

Epoxy must be painted to protect against UV. I’d use marine vinyl, will last you 20-30 years. Mine is 20+ years old, used on a saltwater boat moored 24/7 from May thru Oct ... and still looks great!

Nautolex brand marine vinyl by Defender Marine, see link: https://search.defender.com/?Action=2&AnswerId=82527&SH=QT1OYXV0b2xleH5CPU5hdXRvbGV4fkQ9MjV_ST1QcmljZX5LPTR_TD0xfk09MX4&SI=037ef328-5f94-412d-bd16-175aa56336c0&ss=1

Wears well, is NOT hot at all if you get a lighter color, and lasts for many years. BONUS - Does not show ‘age’ like carpet does. Meaning, my ~21 year vinyl still looks great after a good cleaning!

I’m ordering hydroturf for the one I’m doing. I have it on standup jet skis and it holds up to abuse. It looks pretty slick from pics I’ve seen.

Wow, what a great alternative to paint, stain, apoxy, and all the seadek type flooring. I plan to use this on my 4x8 marine plywood deck added to my aluminum bay boat. Any tips on installing on a ply word surface? Especially the edges? Thank you! Hope I am not considered hi jacking enginemans post!

I doubt if what I did was "official". I just wrapped it around my plywood and stapled it.

I did round the plywood edges first to keep from cutting it. Been in 2 years now. I love it. R

DaleH said:
Nautolex brand marine vinyl by Defender Marine, see link: https://search.defender.com/?Action=2&AnswerId=82527&SH=QT1OYXV0b2xleH5CPU5hdXRvbGV4fkQ9MjV_ST1QcmljZX5LPTR_TD0xfk09MX4&SI=037ef328-5f94-412d-bd16-175aa56336c0&ss=1

Wears well, is NOT hot at all if you get a lighter color, and lasts for many years. BONUS - Does not show ‘age’ like carpet does. Meaning, my ~21 year vinyl still looks great after a good cleaning!

Do you treat the plywood with anything before installing this?

Starcraft installed it, all edges wrapped or deck compartments prevent water getting to the edges, and I don't believe they were treated. But sealing them isn't a bad idea.

I also used the Defender marine vinyl and really like it. Super easy to install, just need 3M or similar spray adhesive. I also stapled edges to underside. Not sure if it was really necessary though. I believe a good strong spray adhesive would've held it just fine. I sealed and painted all deck parts prior to install just to be sure of extended life span. The marine vinyl washes easily, grips and non skid, looks good, and comparable to carpet on pricing. I only believe it wouldn't work if someone was trying to replace carpet with it because the difference in thickness would cause a significant gap between panels. The marine vinyl is only about 1/16" thick

I used the wrinkled rusty colored vinyl from Defender. #1 it is three-dimensional, not flat like wallpaper vinyl, so showing any imperfections isn't that much of a deal. Kind of wonder if your dealer was using the same material as I did.

Hey, it is floor/deck of my fishing boat. If a few bumps and bruises show through, it isn't going to bother this old guy. Some see it differently, and that is OK. It is THEIR boat, not mine.

richg99 said:
I used the wrinkled rusty colored vinyl from Defender. #1 it is three-dimensional, not flat like wallpaper vinyl, so showing any imperfections isn't that much of a deal. Kind of wonder if your dealer was using the same material as I did.

Hey, it is floor/deck of my fishing boat. If a few bumps and bruises show through, it isn't going to bother this old guy. Some see it differently, and that is OK. It is THEIR boat, not mine.

Right, that's what I'm thinking. A marina is going to want it to be 100% perfect for a customer because many of them would complain. But my boat is not a beauty queen, it just needs to be functional. I'm getting ready to redo my floor soon.

Let's pretend you used a SS flathead screw in a countersink to hold down the wood flooring. If you didn't leave it 'flush' ... and that spot is on a wear pattern - where normal foot traffic occurs - then yes, in YEARS you may see a circular dimple there.

I have NONE such dimples or 'beauty marks' on my 21+ year old vinyl flooring and guesstimate that Starcraft may have simply swiped a simple compound filler (Bondo?) over such spots, if there were any.

Catch one Pickeral or Pike on a carpeted boat and you'll wish you had vinyl for the next three months as you're smelling that slime bake away in the sun.

Even my 5 yr old knows the rule - No Slimers In The Boat!

I inherited carpet on my Texas tinny. I hate the crap. Hooks get stuck in it and I have to spend fishing time trying to get them out.

I am not ready to replace it yet, but when I do, it will be with the vinyl.

IMG_0625.JPGI have a project boat and I used the exercise mat stuff in it. I'm sure it's not near as good as the sea dek or hydro tek stuff. I ordered $50.00 worth to get free shipping and have enough to cover the area twice, I did not cover the bow. I read mixed reviews about it used on boats, some praised it others talked bad about it. It is glued to aluminum in this boat. I'm sure vynal woulda been better. My other boat has the vynal and I love it. Here's a pic.IMG_0626.JPG the rear has a cutting board and the diamond plate stuff is plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,576
Bearclaw -- wife and I were in a sporting goods store the other day and I saw this stuff. Took a pic thinking someone on TB might be interested. Then I saw your post. Great minds think alike I guess (you should be worried). This mat is a little over 40" by about 96". This one was $20.

Diamond Mat.JPG

Hey guys, question.
So Iam using aluminum sheet .100 5052 for my cockpit floor. To get carpet or vinyl to stick to it. Is the spray adhesive enough.

Really want vinyl but Iam afraid it will have a problem sticking. Because of the rivets.

To see the little mounds under the vinyl doesn’t bother me. I just wanna know if the vinyl will stay stuck because of them. What do y’all think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts