Help with bow mount trolling motor on a Lone Star tinner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

After fishing a full season with my 14' Lone Star it's become painfully obvious that I can't do any better fishing with this rig without a TM.

I want to do a bow mount, as I have been advised by many that a stern steer is sloppy and is greatly effected by even light wind. I'll attach some pics below so you can see my rig. The problem at hand is that I have a bow cap, and it's got a slight arch to it. It it were flat, I wouldn't even be posting this.

What are your thoughts on a bow mount for my rig?
Mount to one side just behind the cap?
Get/make some bracket that will mount on the cap?

Thoughts?

CMOS

Attachments

• 20180616_121743.jpg
    20180616_121743.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 20180616_121753.jpg
    20180616_121753.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 20180616_121816.jpg
    20180616_121816.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,472
CMOS...I happened to see your other post on 2cool Take a look at this LINK. Add a Big Foot Switch and you will be fine.

You will have to reverse the head on the TM if you buy a transom mount (usually they are cheapest). Minnkota is easy. I don't know about Motorguide.

https://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4943

richg99

I have done that with 3 different tinnies. Reverse the control on a transom mount. Usually they will clamp right over the gunwale. I use a piece of wood on each side to sandwich the hull. Cheap and works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richg99 said:
CMOS...I happened to see your other post on 2cool Take a look at this LINK. Add a Big Foot Switch and you will be fine.

You will have to reverse the head on the TM if you buy a transom mount (usually they are cheapest). Minnkota is easy. I don't know about Motorguide.

richg99

This would work perfect.

richg99 said:

richg99

Rich,

As I stated on 2Cool that's a solid mount for sure, but it may be a bit intrusive for a multi-use boat. I'll give that some thought.

I think I'm going to start by clamping on the side, just behind the bow cap.

CMOS

I used the block as suggested above. Also put an aluminum plate on the inside. Not quite on the tip, but does nicely. Minn Kota 32 lb. thrust, and it is all I need. Yea, next size up might be better, but if I need to go far, I fire up the 6 Evinrude.

6giPgSv.jpg

qBrbZ2t.jpg

WV1951 said:
I used the block as suggested above. Also put an aluminum plate on the inside. Not quite on the tip, but does nicely. Minn Kota 32 lb. thrust, and it is all I need. Yea, next size up might be better, but if I need to go far, I fire up the 6 Evinrude.

6giPgSv.jpg

qBrbZ2t.jpg

WV,

Can you get some close-ups of that bracket setup please?

Tell me about the aluminum brackets that attach to the ends of each bench seat.

Also - that is a beautiful boat!

CMOS

WV1951 said:
IFk0WOK.jpg

gTmWtaJ.jpg

The alum. plate protects the inside and outside from being damaged when tightening the motor bracket.

The seat brackets are factory. Can't add more to that.

Thank you.

Is that block on the outside made of wood?

CMOS

Mine is similar but metal. IMO, the inside lip is very important

e1837ab7cdfb786bc53a0a798ecea6a9.jpg

a59b399f0f4f9e2cb40c6fde85bc0e12.jpg

The metal cap makes the bracket mount squarely relative to the side of the boat so the TM isn't at an angle, not that it makes a lot of difference, but you'll likely do better moving through weeds with it on straight.

Lost Pole said:
Mine is similar but metal. IMO, the inside lip is very important

e1837ab7cdfb786bc53a0a798ecea6a9.jpg

a59b399f0f4f9e2cb40c6fde85bc0e12.jpg

LP,

That's some hard core work right there. Nice job.

CMOS

Latest posts