Boat Info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Guppy

Reaction score
New to the forum and looking for some help with info for a new jon boat purchase. Someone else from another forum suggested I should look at this one as I would probably make out better with info. I'm looking into getting either a 16' or 18' jon boat and I have it narrowed down to a couple different models and was wondering if anyone on here currently owns/use any of them. Not sure which might be better than the other. Just looking for info on how well any of them have been holding up, or any problems, etc. The two main ones I'm considering is the Lowe Roughneck in either 1660/1860 tiller, and the G3 1652/1860 VBW tiller. Looked into SeaArk and they are nice looking boats but they will be a little out of my price range and the closest dealer for them is over two hours away. Would be mainly used for fresh water fishing and hunting with the occasional use in salt water back bays in the spring for some flounder. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

if it were me,having owned a g3, not a john but a guide,i'd go with the g3.in my opinion,and it's only my opinion,the lowe is the "affordable"option.

If they are both .100" thick in the size you want it's just going to come out to what you want. Double check the Lowe though. They might be .080" thick.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. My buddy has been beating on his riveted Lowe for over a decade and it is a tank.

Bateman said:
If they are both .100" thick in the size you want it's just going to come out to what you want. Double check the Lowe though. They might be .080" thick.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way. My buddy has been beating on his riveted Lowe for over a decade and it is a tank.

Looks like the metal on both are .100 and both are welded. The roughneck I looked at had some of it's options like the floor plate and side w covering were riveted on but the hull itself was welded

Latest posts