Newb question - stability Lone Star vs Alumacraft (14'ers)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDog

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post and hopefully not too 'open-ended' of a question.

I'm new to owning boats and working on them, but was missing fishing from one so bought 2 ...

The boat I wanted to get (off craigslist) was an old Alumacraft with outboard/trailer and trolling motor, but the seller didn't respond so I bought a different one (1965 Chrysler/Lone Star Commander) with just the trailer and trolling motor. Then the other seller responded that he still had it, so I bought it too. Now I have to decide which one I'm going to keep (and make serviceable). They BOTH need rivet bucking and sealing, as well as paint and whatever else I decide to do (LOTS of good examples on this forum!!).

The Lone Star has a broader beam (by 4") but the Alumacraft seems like it has a flatter hull. My wife is a weak swimmer so I want the most stable platform I can get, from the choices I have.

Since I can't float either one easily, I'm looking for opinions on which would be more stable in the water?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG

I got one dollar on the white one. Looks like the more stable of the two to me.

It's all about the width... go with the lone star imo...

Thanks for the fast replies! They make sense to me.

I do like the hull thickness of the green one (and my Dad had an Alumacraft 17'er, 20 years ago, that was a great/solid little fishing boat), but I agree the white one is bigger so that's probably the way I'll go.

ProduceMan said:
The white one. 1st pic there looks to be a gnarly dent atop the starboard gunnel, but doesn't show in the 2nd?
According to the previous owner, a tree limb fell into her and caused that. There's no apparent structural damage, to my uneducated eyes, anyway.

Latest posts