Motor size question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtdawg88

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a new aluminum all around boat. Wanting a 1860 center console but may go with a side console for more storage options. I am wanting to fish, pull kids on a tube, hunt, and all around enjoy being on the water. Most boats of this size are rated for 90hp but most of the ones for sale have 70hp already on them. Is the extra 20hp worth the extra $ for what I want to do? I don’t need to win any hole shots but want it fast enough to be fun for tubing. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 70 with a 4 blade will tow a tube and you won't break the bank on the gas bill.but the 90 will get you a few extra mph for more $,and you probably won't need the extra prop but it is a good idea to carry a spare anyway,but you can also get a few more mph out of the 70 with a different prop as well,so what is that 5 extra mph worth to you?.so if the dealer is offering a good price on the package with the 70,go for it. hope that helps :mrgreen: btw my 14.5 with a 40 etec tows a tube with a standard 13.5x15 aluminum 3 blade prop.

When I learned to ski way back when, we used an 85 merc, we barefooted and everything behind that thing, a 70 will work fine I think. Most people just drag tubes anyway nowadays.

you can also look up the performance #'s on almost any boat/engine combo for most manufacturers on their websites.pick the closest combo and it tells you top speed,fuel efficiency,cruise rpm,etc.

Thanks. I looked on Excel’s website but couldn’t find the info. I may just have to call because there isn’t a dealer within 3 hours of me.

How fast do you want to go, what load will you be carrying? I went water skiing as a kid on a row boat with a 15 on her, 70 will do the job, 90 will do the job better, want to cruise, cut back on the throttle. I never met anyone that said I wish I'd gone with the smaller engine.

I have a 1860SC Triton all welded with a 40 EFI 4stroke big foot. I can run just under 30 in the high end of the 20s at WOT. You won't get anywhere in hurry with a 40 but it will do the job. Buddy of mine has same boat but War Eagle brand with a 75 Opti max and he tops out at 34-36 depending on water conditions. Staying at 1/3-1/2 throttle I can run **** near all day and not use half of the 12gal gas tank.

One day I'll repower with a 60 most likely The only body of water close to me I chrrently don't feel powered enough to run is the Missouri and mainly due to it's current. Just a few extra thoughts for you.

Crazyboat said:
How fast do you want to go, what load will you be carrying? I went water skiing as a kid on a row boat with a 15 on her, 70 will do the job, 90 will do the job better, want to cruise, cut back on the throttle. I never met anyone that said I wish I'd gone with the smaller engine.

Not real sure. I’m thinking the ability to hit 30 while pulling a tube would be nice. Load would consist of a couple of people, cooler, etc. I’m really thinking the extra 20 would be nice.

The 70 will be fine. In the old days we water skied with plenty of 50, and even 35 hp boats. They were small and not very beamy.
Pulling kids on a tube is nothing. You can probably wake board fine with the 70, but it would not be so good for skiing with adults.

When researching/shopping for my rig, the F70 weighed considerably less than the Yamaha F90. Not saying the weight difference makes up for the 20 less HP, not at all. But it is yet another variable to consider. I pull towables behind my Xpress XP18CC with a 70hp engine, and it'll tow faster than my kid wants to go.

As others have said, I grew up tubing and skiing behind an old trihull with a 50hp Johnson on it, and we never felt like we needed more.

Last year I bought a 20' SeaRay with a sbc and mercruiser outdrive setup for the family, and while it is a night and day difference, my kid still won't let me tow her any faster than my Xpress will do it.

Only you know how you plan to use your toys. I personally would never power a boat with less than what it's rated for. You can always run the 90hp at the same speed a 70hp runs, but not vice versa. And sometimes the larger engine can be more fuel efficient cruising at "x"mph versus the smaller engine needing more throttle to attain the same speed.

IMO, I could never see regretting the larger engine. If you regret the smaller one there is only one way to change it and that is to sell and go with the larger engine. $

My rule of thumb is never buy a boat with less than 75% of it's max power rating. I'm usually hanging a kicker motor off with the main, so my 75% rule is to allow for the weight of that as well. And as said above, you never regret having too much motor. The 70 will probably pull you and skiers or tubes just fine.

Latest posts