Rudder for front of jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

243ackley

Reaction score
Many years ago I fished with a man that had rigged up a rudder for the front of his jon boat using an old stop sign. He would put it in the water and it kept the front of the boat from swinging around.

Has anybody ever tried this? I can't seem to remember how he had it rigged.

LDUBS said:
Huh, I've not tried this. Was it to keep the wind from pushing the boat around while trolling or ????

It was to keep the wind from blowing the bow around while fishing. It was a 15 foot aluminum boat with a trolling motor.

If the person who was in front had a decent bass on the line it would move the boat.

My boat will only be used in a small 4 acre farm pond.

243ackley said:
LDUBS said:
Huh, I've not tried this. Was it to keep the wind from pushing the boat around while trolling or ????

It was to keep the wind from blowing the bow around while fishing. It was a 15 foot aluminum boat with a trolling motor.

If the person who was in front had a decent bass on the line it would move the boat.

My boat will only be used in a small 4 acre farm pond.

Interesting. I was kind of thinking it would be like a centerboard on a small sail boat, but up front. If you give it a shot hopefully you will get back with how it works. I for one would be curious.

I think the man use an old trolling motor mount. I have several signs but need to find a mount.

I did not know if anybody had another idea.

Latest posts