lowe 1648t qeustion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cencal

Reaction score
New guy here. I am hoping someone here can answer a couple questions. I going to buy this Lowe 1648t with a 50 hp Honda on it. I know the motor is a bit big for this boat but I am hoping it will be all right. My question is this boat has a plate to raise the height of the motor. It was used as a duck boat and I assume this was to allow shallow water access. My main use will be for fishing lakes and i was wondering if I should just leave it as is or remove the plate and mount the motor directly to the transom and how will this affect performance. It is also has a tunnel hull if that matters. I am pretty green to this type of boat and would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0302.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0302.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,194
  • thumbnail_IMG_0304.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0304.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,194
I'd leave as is....any lower and the motor will likely throw water; being to far in the water.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Unless you plan on using this for shallow water, I’d be inclined to find a rig better suited for lake fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fan at all of the metal clamped to the transom personally, but removing that will necessitate a jack plate of some sort. It will not be ideal at all to have the engine that low in the water, especially with a tunnel hull. I'm curious if that is by chance a long shaft engine on a short transom.

Motor is not to big for that boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I am buying it from relative who needs to sell it because of health issues. I am hoping it will work out ok. I guess i should run it and see how it feels before I do anything drastic.

I'd walk away from that one. Boats are all over the place for sale all the time. Find one that hasn't been messed with in better shape set up for fishing.

Father in-law just bought a similar setup and is regretting it. He bought in haste and it's going to cost him time and money to get his ex duck boat set up to fish. His is also a tunnel hull with a motor that don't sit right.

Walk away!

Latest posts