Easy toung jack.. replacement...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10sne1

Reaction score
I am looking for a new boat trailer tung jack. I wish to have one that is comfortable and very easy to crank. I’m feeling my age and would to spend my energies on fishing not boat prep. Thanks for your real world info. Tomm

I don’t know how big your rig is but there are electric ones. I have one on my camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished reading a similar thread on Microskiff.com. A guy there found a 1500 lb rated tongue jack at Harbor Freight for $29.00. Most of the other brands were only rated for 1,000 lbs. Guess a heavier jack ought to be easier to crank???

Another guy piped in and said that he was replacing his jacks every two or three years. Good quality ones, too, all being eaten up by saltwater. So, he also went to the Harbor Freight cheapies. He figured if he was going to replace it every couple of years, no sense in buying the more expensive ones. I think he makes sense.

I've never used the Harbor Freight jacks, but I'd certainly take a look the next time I am in their store.

Did you try to oil the old jack? Most of them have a hole for lube. The one on my boat trailer was an old one I found on the shoulder of the road. I oiled it up and it works mint. I can operate it with my fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cordless drill adapter

https://www.campingworld.com/slotted-head-drill-adapter?CAWELAID=120030630000006570&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvY396PSG3AIVz19-Ch04mAYOEAQYAyABEgJmtvD_BwE

Oiled, gears on gears, past being oiled, I’m afraid. Thanks

Harbor Freight. 1500# jack. $29.00. And 20% off with on phone coupon!

New jack mounted. Great range, heavy, easy turn, up and down a bit slow-but little effort. Would buy again. List $55 on Amazon......

gnappi said:
I have yet to buy a "better" jack that REALLY IS better, so the cheapo ones work fine for me.

Exactly, I spent fairly big money on a fancy Fulton and it was brutal to use after 2 or 3 years just like the $29 one from Tractor Supply. I could buy 3 of those for the one fancy Fulton I bought.

Unfortunately, the way things are made and sold these days, we will probably find that the High Priced one is made in the same factory as the Low Priced one.

And, it may have NO appreciable difference other than price, color, and labeling.

I use the inexpensive jacks from Harbor Freight on my camper and boat trailer.

But both units weigh in well under 500 pounds.

When the wheel is offset it is a little harder to push around the driveway and yard.

I wonder if the models with two wheels are easier to move around.

Anyone have the two wheel models?

Attachments

• 1.paint.jpg
    1.paint.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,077
I've had the Harbor Freight one in use for 3 years now. Shows some signs of corrosion but I've never done any maintenance to it and it sits outside. Works great still.

"When the wheel is offset it is a little harder to push around the driveway and yard.

I wonder if the models with two wheels are easier to move around.

Anyone have the two wheel models?"

Following -- I've noticed the same thing.

I only have had the single wheel devices and, depending on the tongue weight, I wouldn't expect much on a grassy surface. Double wheels or much wider wheels would obviously help, per your query.

Can you just add a longer axle and two or more outside wheels? You might have to add some pieces of PVC pipe as spacers to make it all fit.

Incidentally, when I was building kayak trolleys, I found a great source of cheap wheels to be Church Thrift/Salvation Army, etc. stores. I bought a couple of golf bag trolleys for $5.00 each.

Of course, there is always Harbor Freight for wheels, too.
rich

"Can you just add a longer axle and two or more outside wheels? You might have to add some pieces of PVC pipe as spacers to make it all fit."

Good idea and if two is better then three is even more better! I'll have to look to see if adding a wheels outside the existing bracket will get in the way when I swivel the jack up. On the other hand, it might be easier to just buy the two wheel model from HF for $29.

Latest posts