Another leaking tracker-- a few questions-need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrellswyatt

Reaction score
I purchased a 1995 bass tracker pro 17 bass boat. It's a riveted boat and I knew it had leaks. I have been working for about 5 days power brushing all kinds of gook off the bottom of the boat especially along the keel. I have removed caulk, epoxies,and what looks like auto undercoating or flex seal. Lots of it!! I did the test to put water in the boat and it had some pretty good leaks along the keel. So I maked those areas. As I have been cleaning I have noticed quite a few loose rivets in the keel. I got a surprise at the rear of the keel plate. I thought it was completely closed but the end was plugged with this same gook and it appears to be open at the rear once I have removed all of that stuff.
My plan was to replace all of the loose rivets with new blind closed end rivets buttered with 5200 and then run a bead all around the keel. I can see that the bead around the keel would be a waste of time if its suppose to be open. My question is, is this a keel shield that is open at the rear end from the factory?
Any comments or observations/ recommendations welcomed

Yes, many keel ‘shields’ or keels, as well as chines, are open on tin boats.

I also would not used closed-end pop rivets, if you have the option to borrow an air compressor and buck solid rivets. They are semi-permanent and should last another 20 years, but are also 5X stronger than pop rivets in shear.

Clean any bare tin with vinegar and a copper scrub brush, and wash with water afterwards, as that helps to self-etch the tin. Then buy some zinc chromate primer & apply before you buck the rivets.

DaleH thats what I was wanting to know about is the keel shield so I see no reason for anything right now other than replace the loose revits I would love to use solids but I cannot access the top side at this time. I will be able to access it this winter. I will remove the false floors and decks and replace the foam flotation. Right now I am trying to get it water worthy to finish out the warm weather fishing season. Afterwards I will disassemble and redo it. What do you think about that?

I’d probably then just goop the snot out of it and properly do it later with solid rivets. Tell me the length needed and I can probably send you a dozen.

HI DaleH
Thanks for the offer of rivets. I will have to check my order to see what it takes. The gooping the snot out of it I don't think will work as it is apparently allowing water into the hull under the keel plate where the rivet goes thru the hull. I know there are several that are wiggle loose. these are the rivets that hold the keel shield to the hull so the point of leak is hidden under the shield. I can see and feel them moving. So I believe just gooping them will not reach the point of leak. The keel shield is not seal. The rear end of it is open to water. So no use trying to seal it unless I try to close the end up. I am hoping the blind rivets will tighten up in the hole and make it water tight again. Do you think this will work?

Latest posts