DIY OD Green (olive drab green) cost effective recipe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uttexas

Reaction score
Hi there; been a member for a while, but this is my first post. Great website with very useful information that has helped me over the years. Thought I'd share something that worked better than expected.

Was in a time crunch, and the local stores were sold out of the Parkers, Hunters, and Duralux OD green.

With some internet research and mixing some colors, this recipe worked really well--almost perfect match for my Lowe Roughneck. Rolled and tipped. Brushed in those tight places around the transducer/etc

6oz Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer
6oz Rustoleum Hunter Green oil based enamel
2oz Rustoleum Almond oil based enamel
1oz mineral spirits (would have used acetone if cooler temps)
0.5oz enamel hardener/catalyst

Of course sanding down to metal in parts and Rustoleum bare metal primer in those areas, let it dry, then wet sand the entire boat with 400, wipe it down with mineral spirits, allowing time between coats, and wet sanding between coats with 800 grit, etc.

If you want more green, just add more of the Hunter Green: want more brown add more Rusty Metal Primer: too light, use less Almond, etc.

Pics of paints and after 4 coats

Attachments

• paint1.png
    paint1.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 892
  • paint2.png
    paint2.png
    583.5 KB · Views: 892
Hang on.... You've been lurking here for over 3 1/2 (+/-) years and haven't found ANYTHING to post about till now? Shame on you :)

Anyway, (looking side to side to see if anyone is watching me type this) wasn't your Lowe ALREADY pretty much that color? Mine is and it seems like a LOT of work to go up or down a shade on the puke green scale.

C'mon... you didn't really expect to NOT get a hard time after lurking about so long :)

lowe_boat.jpg

Ha, ha

You got me

You see; what happened was, I did some touch up in an area that had worn down to bare metal. After the touch up, that area looked better than the rest of the boat. Thought; oh well, I’ll just do the entire outside of the boat. I enjoy painting, even in the crazy heat of a Texas summer

I lurked for so long, in part, because I’m one of those people that will wait 4 years gathering information and ideas until he finds the boat/motor he’s looking for at the right price

Almost bought one three years ago, but it just wasn’t exactly what I wanted. Took another three years to find what I was looking for

Over those years, I continued to use my kayaks (which I trailer). Lots of the information here gave me good ideas for the kayak and trailer modifications

Latest posts