Does this mean I need a new transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10point

Reaction score
I have a 1973 monark that my father gave me and for a few years now when I put the boat in the gear the transom will move. I assume that's the sign of needing a new transom?
c65810d6dd6d8d88fb344813efb7105c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

10point said:
I assume that's the sign of needing a new transom?
Well ... in your case - 'maybe'.

I don't know who put that wood in there, but they oriented the grain of the wood the WRONG way, as the strength from plywood sheets, from bending, is when the grain runs the long way across the hull, from side to side. Your's oriented vertically and I can see the wood flexing along the grain lines.

Is is soft? If any bolts in there, remove 1 or a few and see if a sharp pick or awl penetrates easily into the wood.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Maybe you just need a new 2x4
You must be referring to that brown piece. That is not part of the transom. I thought that might be confusing

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
I don't know who put that wood in there, but they oriented the grain of the wood the WRONG way, as the strength from plywood sheets, from bending, is when the grain runs the long way across the hull, from side to side.

Well crap, more stuff to remember! :wink: :lol:

Thanks, Dale!

Plywood always has plies oriented in different directions. The way the grain runs on the outside ply has nothing to do with the other plies.

ppine said:
Plywood always has plies oriented in different directions. The way the grain runs on the outside ply has nothing to do with the other plies.
Well, NOT when you cut it that thin (height) it doesn’t. Try it for yourself ...

Plus every wooden boat build site will tell you the same thing, run/aling the exterior grain with the longest run for the build. You are quite right that alternating ply’s are put at 90-degrees to each other, but the back & face veneers are always aligned. There will always be 1 more ply aligned to the face/back than the other orientation, hence that is indeed stronger.

I agree with ppine, the problem I see is if the transom is more than 4' wide, then they would have used pieces of plywood instead of a solid piece. It also depends on how many plies there are, if it is only 3 ply plywood then yes it would be stronger the other way but, more plies than that and the strength is pretty well distributed. the fact that there are additional boards added in an apparent attempt to strengthen the transom is a good sign it needs to be redone, the right way.

Latest posts