Boat identification help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinja

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member here with my first post.

A few years ago my wife and I bought the following boat along with a motor. We fished it for a while in the Florida Gulf Coast, but with motor being quite aged and not being able to locate even a replacement prop, I got somewhat scared of going out in it and the boat as been sitting for the past couple of years. Lately I have been talking with my wife about getting another boat, perhaps even building one of the Bateau models (which I do plan to do) when she suggested that we upgrade this boat in the meantime. Why didn't I think of that?!

So my plan is to clean it up, fix some small leaks, new paint, add a floor and maybe a center console, and perhaps a deck for fishing if it can be done while keeping the boat safe. I then found this site which will be of great help. So anyways, can anyone tell me what make/model this boat may be? It has no plates or manufacturer identification of any kind that I could find. The previous owner had it registered as "home made" which it clearly is not. If I can find out what this beast is, that information may help me determine what can be done to it safely. It measures 13' 8" from transom to bow with a 49" width at the gunwales.

Any help you offer would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Well, pics would be nice, huh?

Bill

Attachments

• 20180708_123255.jpg
    20180708_123255.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 761
  • 20180708_123334.jpg
    20180708_123334.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 761
So, no idea, huh? Me neither, but it doesn't really matter.

I am proceeding with the job of upgrading this thing. First order of business is the bottom. The main problem with the bottom is this drain the PO must have thought was a good idea: a brass fitting held with steel sheet-metal screws installed in the bottom of an aluminum boat. Ugh.

I have removed the drain and cleaned both sides of the hull with a stainless wire-wheel. Since the hole is so near the rivets at the bottom of the transom, I assume welding a patch is out of the question. Therefore I am considering riveting a patch, inside and out. I will need to buy a sheet of 5052 as well as some rivets, and a mandrel to use in driving the rivets.

From reading this Giant hole in my boat thread I suspect there is more cleaning/prepping I need to do before applying the patch. I have West Systems G/Flex as well as 5200 sealant, but not sure which to go with - I am thinking that I should use the G/Flex as it would be safer to use on the aluminum.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

--Bill

Attachments

• 20180803_132124.jpg
    20180803_132124.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 683
  • Bottom with drain.jpg
    Bottom with drain.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 683
Give me some dimensions you need, as I have a sheet of 5052 on hand.

I myself would probably cut a round piece for the hole and then two triangular ones for the rest and would do that. I'd wash all good w/ vinegar, let dry, then prime with acid-etching zinc chromate primer, then seal up with goop of choice and wood rivet the patch on. Heck, I can send you rivets to boot too!

... no idea on the hull brand, but usually the shape of the stern corner pieces help determine who, and sometimes there is an emblem or letter or symbol ('star' for Starcraft) is on them. Can't tell by your pictures. Design of hull side supports from seats to gunnel is also another method for help in determining the brand, as is the size/shape of the bow cap piece.

Thanks Dale, that is a very nice offer. There is one pin hole in addition to the three screw holes, and possibly one more. I think a circular patch would cover it all better than a triangle. The drain hole is just over one inch in diameter and it looks like a 3-inch circular patch (on each side) would cover it all nicely.

I really appreciate your offer for the materials and will PM you more information.

--Bill

Latest posts